Ive taken your advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qprneil

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
uk
Visit site
I recently posted a message about how many fish you can have in a 20 gallon tank. I later found out that my tank actually holds around 25 uk gallons. In my tank i had a pleco (around 7 inches), 4 angels, 2 gourami, 6 glowlights, 5 guppy's, ruby shark (very small at the mo) and a tank cleaning cory. You told me that my tank was over crowded and so i have given my Pleco and an angel to my local fish shop. Can you advise me on how many water changes i need to do, currently i do it weekly.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
So, that would leave 3 angels, 2 gourami, 6 glowlights, 5 guppies and a small ruby shark. A little crowded, but until the ruby shark gets bigger it should work.
I suggest 20% water change weekly to start with. Have you been testing for nitrAtes? That would be the best guide. I often do a midweek water change for my cory tank because I like to keep their nitrAtes below 20ppm.
good luck
:)

qprneil

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
uk
Visit site
the fish all seem fine i have lots of hiding places for the fish to hide if they want. I test and water regulary for ammonia, ph and nitrate and they are all fine. The tank seems alot more peaceful now that my pleco has gone. One more question: how often and how much should i feed the fish bearing in mind that i have quite alot. At the minute i feed them twice a day and once a week i feed them daphnia* (*spelling).

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps you should feed once per day, but keep the weekly live/frozen feeding. Either way I think you're on the right track. Less food is better. Some people only feed every other day. How's your algae? Algae overgrowth often means overfeeding.

How big will your gourami's and angels get? You might think of migrating to a larger tank in a year or two.

That poor 7" pl*co probably didn't have enough room to turn around in and it was making him cranky.

good luck
:)

qprneil

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
uk
Visit site
I have no algae at all, the only type thing i have on my glass is white wavy stuff, someone posted a message about this and they said it was hydra which could be cured with a magnet. I think i will purchase a magnet as hydra can be dangerous to the fish.

The pleco was not in my tank very long, a friend had got rid of his tank and so i only had it a couple of weeks.

Thanks very much you your replies, this is a great place to find any answers that you have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store