bettas in vases?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lauren

Say hello to my lilttle friends
Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
I've seen this before, and I wanted to know if it was humane, because it looks awesome. There is a large vase filled with water with a plant inside that doesn't need soil. The roots are in the water, benifitting from the fish's waste, acting a bit like a filter, and the leaves are above. The betta swims around between the roots. They seem to have at a bit of water in there, the vases can be quite big. But is it safe for them?

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
well,
1) no filtration (bad for fish)
2) fluctuating temperatures (bad for fish)
3)not enough surface area for oxygen (bad for fish)
4) how do you feed it?
5)what do you do with the drippy,bare rooted plant while you change the water and remove waste from the tank? (which you would need to do Often,see #1)
It seems to me, that water that would be yummy and full of nutrients for the plant would be nasty, and IMO inhumane for the fish.
You will find a lot of info and strong oppinions on this if you search the forums for betta vases I think.
glad you asked before you bought

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
It can be done. Stick an air tube in a piece of sponge, just make some kind of filter. I think the size of the vase needed is hard to find. A new 10g tank is really cheaper.

Just treat the whole thing as if it is any other fish tank. Cycle it, test it, lots of water changes etc.

I did this for a whole summer once and evaporation was the biggest problem. It is dry here. I grew the whole thing in a south facing window which was fine until the sun got lower in Nov. Then I had an algae explosion.

Lauren

Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
zazz said:
well,
1) no filtration (bad for fish)
2) fluctuating temperatures (bad for fish)
3)not enough surface area for oxygen (bad for fish)
4) how do you feed it?
5)what do you do with the drippy,bare rooted plant while you change the water and remove waste from the tank? (which you would need to do Often,see #1)
It seems to me, that water that would be yummy and full of nutrients for the plant would be nasty, and IMO inhumane for the fish.
You will find a lot of info and strong oppinions on this if you search the forums for betta vases I think.
glad you asked before you bought

My general devil advocate responses:

1. the roots will act as a filter, and other filtration can be applied
2. not necessarily. In a home with a relatively stable temp it could be okay.
3. sponge filter can put air into the water, and take care of #1
4. drop betta pellets in once a week
5. tubing between roots, fill it up over the roots. The roots will actually help to displace the water when filling up the water, creating less turbulation.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Lauren said:
My general devil advocate responses:

1. the roots will act as a filter, and other filtration can be applied
2. not necessarily. In a home with a relatively stable temp it could be okay.
3. sponge filter can put air into the water, and take care of #1
4. drop betta pellets in once a week
5. tubing between roots, fill it up over the roots. The roots will actually help to displace the water when filling up the water, creating less turbulation.
1. Sort of. They can be setup to be okay, though still not ideal. Plants use ammonia, but other wastes will build up, requiring frequent water changes.

2. Yep, though still maybe on the cool side. Bettas prefer upper 70's--much warmer than I'd like my house. In cooler water, bettas are prone to fin rot and bacterial infections.

3. Not a big deal, though adding the filtration is a good plan. There must be a large area of open water that the betta can get to easily. Bettas and other labyrinth fish can actually suffocate if access to the surface is limited--oxygen levels in the water aren't sufficient. They must get to the surface to breath.

4. More than weekly. Bettas are carnivores, but I still prefer to feed them daily to every other day--weekly just wouldn't cut it.

5. The plant can simply be set aside during water changes--the most commonly used plants are sturdy enough to be fine laying on their side for a few minutes. This is preferably to leaving the plant in place, since that will limit your ability to clean the substrate of waste and uneaten food.

FWIW, I think these can be a nice setup, but more maintenance than I will deliberately give myself for one fish. A 5 or 10 gallon tank will be cheaper in the long run, simply because it will take less work to keep stable.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Have you considered setting up an uncovered 10g tank w/ some plants growing hydroponically? You'll have room for a heater and any form of filtration that you might want, plus the look of the lush plants growing out of the top of your tank while leaving sufficient open space for the betta to breath.

Lauren

Aug 9, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
I'm just sort of bored with tanks now. I have a betta in a 5 gallon square tank by my computer, which I'm fine with, but I wanted to try something a little more interesting elsewhere in the house.

Rosemary

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
rosemaryamey.ca
To me, a small container like a vase is more boring than a tank because the betta can't do a whole heck of a lot, he usually ends up just sitting there (in the set-ups I've seen).

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
yeah, i mean theres no room for any decor. no room for a cave for the betta to hide in, no room for any sort of plants or rocks or anything really. just a betta sitting in a glass vase with some gravel at the bottom. sounds pretty boring to me. my mom was given a betta vase as a gift. poor thing just sat there and stared at you. it was miserable. i rescued him and put him into a tank with my Ryukin who was all alone. I had 2 Ryukins, but one died of dropsy. now the betta hangs out with Calico. Dummy is much happier now.

if you want something interesting....check out the shell dwelling cichlids, here's a link www.shelldwellers.com
they sounded pretty interesting to me. i was going to set up a 7 gal betta tank at work...now i'm thinking of setting it up for a pair of shell dwellers. with lots of shells for them to hide and breed in and a black sand substrate. maybe some java ferns and some cool looking rocks. these guys work all day moving sand grain by grain, they create hills and valleys in the substrate and bury the shells to their liking. they're constantly moving. and the tank would look different every day.

Last edited:

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Ok, That's getting there... added filtration, siphon cleaning etc.... ( u really can't rely in the plant)
I'm still sold on heaters, And certainly more frequent feeding/ cleaning.

I can understand the appeal of the look, myself.
If it were me, Id stay on the lookout for a slightly larger "cool" clear container. Certainly one with more surface area. and make a DIY arrangement for plants on top, that leave more free surface space..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store