10g algea control suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Otos are the only 'algae eaters' that really stay small enough for a 10g. The first thing I suggest to customers where I work is to keep up with maintenance, try not to expose the tank to direct sunlight, and use an algae magnet if necessary, these things go a long way to preventing an algae problem in the first place. Otos only eat certain types of algae, and may not find enough to eat in the tank, they'll likely need to be spot fed just like any other fish. :)

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
I have a low light 10g with plants and snails and as far as I can tell there is no algae at all. Though I would assume there is some. There is only one fish in there right now. Making sure the water is clean and the filter is adequate is the first step. Plants and a few snails help. Not keeping too many fish will also help. Not having too much light will also help.

Balance those things and you won't need anything else.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
I have a 10 gallon with 2.8 watts of light (it is rather heavily planted) yet I get a lot of algae, especially films of algae on the larger leaf plants such as sword plants and java fern. It also grows on bushy plants. I just wipe it off but it occurs again. I'm not sure if I should get ottos though. I have 3 leopard cories, 1 skunk cory, and 1 male betta.

gman52

AC Members
Apr 23, 2005
there are two other possibles reasons, one may be poor water quality which i doubt if it is a established tank. the other thing could just be a bloom and will clear up on its own. that wat happend in my 10 gallon, and in about 3 weeks, my tank was clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store