Red-Clawed Crab.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GodJockey

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2005
Well i feel ashamed to have this as my first post cuz' i m new to brackish aquariums. I read the Brackish FAQ but i have some additional questions.
Well the other day me and my girlfriend went to a pet store and she saw a red-clawed crab and she thought they were all cute, so now she wants a red-clawed crab as a pet. Ever since i heard they are brackish i am intimidated by them.
First of all i am gonna try to save alot of time by asking if there are any easy care freshwater crabs?
The tank is going to be a small 5 gallon tank with a under gravel filter and bubbler.
Are the red-claws high matanence, do they need perfect salinity and water conditions, any suggestions?
Sry these are all stupid question i read alot of different things online but i want some opinions here. I am just stupid when it comes to aquatic things, i keep dart frogs tho (d. azureus and d. lues) but know nothing when it comes to most aquatic things.

Thanks for all ur help,
Tom

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most brackish animals are not too picky about a specific gravity (salinity, sort of), since brackish conditions vary with the tide and location. For most crabs, you'll need a terrarium setup, with land for the crabs to crawl out on. There are several threads on red claw crabs, and they aren't that difficult to keep--just go slow, and you'll be fine.

On your frogs--very cool! I'd love to see pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store