SC #3: Damsels I have loved (to hate)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, Dave is slacking on emptying the cup, so I'm stepping in before it really starts to reek in here. Of course, that means I don't have to be diplomatic and use someone else's idea. :Angel:

New Topic: Tell all about the damsels you have owned, both the vile little buggers and the ones that make the cut.

Like many, I made the mistake of buying damsels as the first occupants of my tank. It was heavily seeded from a buddies tank, so the damsels were more 'test' fish than to cycle the tank. A three stripe, a yellow tail, and a blue damsel were all added at the same time. The yellow tail was abused and killed within the first week or so. The 3 stripe became the biggest, most obnoxious bugger in the system, harrassing every single fish that was added, including a large lion fish and a trigger. He was eventually traded to a friend, where he was happily abusing triggers and hawks last I heard. THe blue damsel is actually still around, in the reef tank. He's been a model fish, always out in the open, and never terrorized the other fish--I suspect he saw what happened to the 3-stripe and learned the lesson early on. ;) Only complaint--that little bugger is the most difficult fish to catch I've ever seen! Everyone else can be tricked or cajoled into swimming into a large jar, but Old Blue. Catching him requires removing EVERY rock in the tank, and taking it down to about 4 inches of water. Can you say PITA?!?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Yeah, I'm lame. But I have a nomination for the next one.

Believe it or not, I have never owned a damsel. Triggers, gobies, tangs, clowns, even a clingfish, but no damsels. Guess I'll sit this one out :sad:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
being new at this I have adopted my sisters electric blue who's a bit nasty but when she had the tank at her place, nothing could beat this domino monster that she had..... this guy was nuts and he got huge. Then her system crashed and she lost nearly everything..... thus the tank is at my house now ;)

Les

A little Insanity will do
Apr 24, 2004
Lost in Colorado
Visit site
When I set up my 125 I made the mistake of listening to my LFS and started out with Damsels 15 of the little monsters. They can be very entertaining chasing each other around all the time. I did lose two of theme during an algae bloom, when the day came to evict theme was at hand I ended up tacking every thing out of the tank but the sand chased theme around for what seamed to be an hour. After that ordeal I put the tank back together and headed to the LFS, handed theme the bag with 13 damsels in it did some trading. When I got home with my new residence 5 blue green cromies and 1 blue tang .About one hour later I see two blue fish swimming around. Houdini as he is now known must have been hiding in one of the rocks out of the water for at least 5 minutes. He or she is very dossal and seems to get along with everybody fine.

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
My tank finished it's cycle around the time of my birthday, and my wife thought it would be cool to get me some "beginner fish", so the lfs sold her some of these devils. But lucky for me when I was ready to get rid of them, they had made a home in a large conch shell I had in my tank. I just took the shell out and shook it til they all fell out, 4 in all. I did try chasing them around for about 2 hours with a net though, not fun.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I put in 12 damsels at the end of my tank's cycle. I managed to catch a few and swap them, while some died. I have three yellow tails left that are permanent citizens. My wife and I call them "The Dons". They were fiercely territorial for a bit, but some judicious rearranging of coral and LR calmed them down. They now have the tank more or less equally divided for their territories, and they really only squabble with each other and the cleaner shrimp. They ignore my percula clown and my coris wrasse, and they have figured out that my flame angel is the undisputed boss of the tank. They give way to him quickly when he swims around.

After a few molts, my cleaner shrimp have grown a bit and now they too refuse to put up with any damsel shennanigans. They chase the damsels off when they are being bothered.

The damsels are now entertainment. Two of them will get into a squabble on one side of the tank, and the other will join in from the other side of the tank. I guess that there's nothing like a good rumble every now and then for a damsel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store