Should I get an anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Just looking for some opinions on anemones. I'd like to get an anemone, they are beautiful animals. Any opinions on what species are best, or whether I should even consider getting one?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Do you have a clown? JMO, but while clowns without anenomes are great, anenomes without clowns tend not to be, in the case of hosting anenomes. There are many that don't host, like the flowers, but if you're planning on getting one that does, you will want to get a clown for it.

In terms of survival, the 'pest' ones like condy's and curly-cues are hardiest, but they can be a threat to other inverts and fish, as can long tentacles and carpets. Pretty well any anenome may threaten your corals--they move around to find the best spot in the tank, and they will sting and kill corals as they move around.

I'd look into the captive raised rose anenomes. More people are reporting success with them, and since they clone themselves well in aquaria, you're not impacting the reef.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I have 2 ocellaris clowns, that have been showing signs of "flirting" the past 3 or 4 months, but my hippo tang more or less shares a bedroom with them, so they can't seem to get comfortable and spawn. The right side of my tank has no coral as of right now, so I was thinking add the anemone and let it get to where it's happy, and try adding some coral on that side later. Not that the anemone can't move towards my coral, but now seems to be my best time to act. Would my clowns possibly host in a rose anemone? I've seen some of those online compatability charts for all sorts of clown species, but they have some inconsistencies.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I've seen a couple hosting in the LFS tank...Not sure about species, though. Sorry!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The clowns--sorry, they were rose anenomes. I think one was a clarkii, can't recall the other.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
With the research I've done this morning, I guess it does happen. One more quick question, is a rose anemone just a rose colored bubble tip anemone?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store