fishless cycle report

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
On Day 45, my fishless cycle finally finished. I just thought I'd give a report from a newbie on the whole process, for those who are thinking of trying it or who are getting frustrated.

The main thing is that originally I saw a lot of reports about fishless cycling happening in 10 or 20 days. Some of them claimed to have done that without any seeding, but now I'm skeptical about that. Given other posts I've read, I'm starting to think that without seeding, 45 days is pretty average.

Here are a few other observations (some of which merely confirm information I've seen elsewhere):

- Occasionally my nitrites would rise during the cycle, after they had already begun falling. The mini-spikes seemed to happen after I had disturbed the gravel or after I had cleaned some algae, some of which "escaped" into gravel and decorations to decay. So once nitrites start to drop, it's not necessary a steady march downward. (Note: now that the cycle is complete, disturbing the gravel doesn't seem to be a problem.)

- Although there were occasionally variations in the test readings, often they would be stable at something relatively high (like 2.0 ppm) for several days, and then without warning go to 0 overnight.

- One thing I did a little differently is that I did NOT keep dosing ammonia daily. I'm pretty sure that if I had done that, my cycle would have taken a little longer. While waiting for ammonia to drop, I added ammonia only if the reading went below 2 ppm, and then I would only add 2 ppm more (to bring the total to around 4 ppm). If I had it to do over again, I think I would add even less, to keep the ammonia between 1 and 2 ppm (rather than between 2 and 4). While waiting for nitrites to drop, I added 1 ppm of ammonia every other day. It seems that adding more only creates an unnecessary nitrite buildup and probably delays completion of the cycle by a day or two (since there's that much more nitrite that has to be processed). In fact, I've since seen the web site of one discus breeder that recommends dosing only 0.5 ppm of ammonia every other day.

- In my case, the ammonia eaters seemed to do fine on 1 ppm every other day. After keeping this schedule, and after the nitrites had finally hit zero, I added a double dose of ammonia (2 ppm) just to make sure I'd be ready to fully stock. Within twelve hours, ammonia and nitrites were both zero again.

- The bacteria didn't skip a beat when I went out of town for three days and didn't feed them. They also didn't seem to skip a beat when I changed filter media. (I'm using the new Whisper filters that have a "bio sponge" in addition to the "bio bag" -- only the bio bag gets changed, so the bio sponge seems to help.)

- I kept the temperature at around 88 F (31 C).

Hope that info helps/encourages somebody!

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Sounds like a great learning experience. After tracking the cycle as closely as you did, you'll be greatly advantaged when cycling other tanks in the future. At this point, I only test for nitrite, and even then only around day 10, 15, and 20. I DO seed my tanks---- I plop (or stuff) an extra filter cartridge or foam block in an already-cycled tank for a week or so, and use it on the new tank. Usually cycles in 20-25 days.

Fishless cycling is the best! Though I've used crawfish (fresh) and crabs (salt) to cycle, they don't care about ammonia so long as it isn't insanely high.

BTW, there isn't much oxygen available at 88F for the bacteria, but it's a good temp for fast bacterial cloning, you may have sped the process up by keeping the temp high but adding an insane amount of aeration, or by dropping in a huge powerhead to keep the water looking like a blender. This will keep oxygen in better shape.

bholt

Still Learning
Apr 28, 2005
Takoma Park, MD
Watch for pH crash

I just finished my first fishless cycle last month. One thing you don't often hear about is the need to watch your pH level. Mine crashed while I was waiting for the nitrites to drop off. I took me a few days to realize what had happened. The ammonia source I used was ammonium hydroxide, and apparently all those loose hydroxyl radicals end up making the water very acidic. Once I corrected the pH, I got nitrites down to zero within a few days.

My cycle was still pretty quick, but even a few days extra feels like an eternity when you're waiting to get your fish! Incidentally, I didn't seed my tank other than adding live plants at the outset, and it finished in a little over 2 weeks. I agree with your conclusion about not dosing ammonia every day -- I did basically the same thing you did.

Nov 14, 2004
uk
I have also recently finished my first fishless cycle. I used a filter sponge from my established tank and lots of plants and it took 14 days BUT I way over added ammonia too and ended up doing massive water changes halfway through, The ammonia levels went to zero quite quickly but I had a massive nitrite spike and my nitrate levels were through the roof, If I do another fishless cycle in the future ( 3 tanks now which I think is about my limit with puffers and weekly water changes !!) I will be more sparing with the ammonia additions too :)

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Just a hint for people that are thinking about getting a new tank. Go buy a cheap bubble up sponge filter, wad up the sponge and cram it in your filter basket or fit it over the filter intake. When your ready for a new tank you can use it to run a filter and it will support a small bioload right off the bat, while your main filter matures.

NO MORE ADDING AMMONIA... WAITING... TESTING...WAITING...TESTING... WAITING. No one should ever have to cycle anything but thier very first tank. Who wants to go through that PITA every time you start a new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store