Green Brain Coral question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
a little more than month ago or so i bought an open green brain coral. for the first few weeks he was doing great and opening up beautifully. then about 2 weeks ago i stopped adding phytoplex because the owner of one of the LFS's i go to (who is very very very knowledgable and always helpful... and accurate) told me that the phytoplex might have something to do with my crazy green algae and bubble algae outbreak. about a week after i stopped dosing the phytoplex my brain did not open up as he did before and has not opened up since... is this normal or might it have to do with me stopping the dosing?? plz help me out, i dont wanna lose this guy, hes sooooo beautiful.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd start target feeding the brain with the phyto. They are heavy feeders, and most tanks don't maintain enough water column foods for them without supplementing. Adding phyto (or any invert food) into the water column, rather than targeting an animal, can result in too much food available for algaes and such.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
You might even target feed bigger, meaty foods, like mysis. My maze brain likes bigger fare than phyto. Also, in the wild, I regularly see them feeding on swimming animals.

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
thanks for you're help, i target fed him some phyto and then about 10 minutes later he was starting to open up again. later on i'll see if i can target feed him some frozen plankton. you guys rock!!! :dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store