Pl*co Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Charone

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
I thought I'd ask you guys for any recommendations you might have for me. I'm in the process of finishing my indoor pond. It's dimensions are 5'x2'x1' (length, width, depth respectively), approx 65gal, It's going to be a gel-coated custom fiberglass insert. I'm running a fluval 404 on it, with the intake/outlet approx 5' from eachother. I'd like to eventually keep some plants in there as well. Now, I've posted in other topic areas for suggestionson different types of fish to keep in it, I have prefernces, but above all, I've had my eyes on a nice pleco for the tank, once cycled and established. So what I'd like from you guys are ideas on what you think would look nice in a peaceful community tank. I'd like one that will max out in the 8-10" range. And if keeping two types together is a possibility, then, by all means suggest the combo as well. I appreciate the help and expertise in these forums, thanks to everyone who makes them work.
Regards,
Andrew

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I assume that since it is indoors, the temp will be pretty warm. In winter, it should probably be heated. As for plecos, since you are going to be looking a it from above, you would probably want something colorful. I think I would recomend 2 gold nuggets. These are very pretty and stay pretty small (about 6-8 inches). Some people say they get to be a foot long, but I have yet to see it.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
There are actually 3 different species of Gold Nuggets one of them gets 8 inches (L081), and the other two get well over a foot long. Most Golds are pretty shy though and very territorial. If you were to get two different plecos get two different types. I have kept a King Tiger, Royal, Leopard (L006), Goldy, and Redfin Black spot together before with no issues (there was a ton of rockwork though). If you want to keep plecos make sure to get some driftwood (especially if you want a Royal) because Plecos love to eat some of the growth on the rock. You could do like a Butterfly Pleco (L052) gets to around 6 inches, or the Leopard (L006), or the Redfin Black Spot (has a close pattern to the Gibbiceps but doesn't get as big), along with many others. Check out www.planetcatfish.com for more pleco options.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I have a gold nugget pleco and it grows SLOWLY!!!! maybe 1/2 inch in 1 year, if that. They are not very visble from the top. Might I suggest a Albino Bristlenose pleco? They are a BRIGHT orange color and breed EASILY!!!

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Check out the Goldie pleco (L-14) aka Sunshine pleco, they are pretty cool. They are very docile, yet they can take care of themselves. If you are looking to keep more than one pleco, I would not suggest the gold nugget pleco, when larger they can be downright nasty to other plecos.

For more info check out the catfish of the month archives at www.planetcatfish.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store