shell dweller experiences?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

roninmagik1

AC Members
Mar 30, 2005
Hi all, i'm thinking of getting some shell dwellers, i'm looking for some fish w/ interesting behavior. Anyone out there with shell dwellers care to comment? How happy are you with them, what's the nicest looking shell dweller, what's the most interesting shell dweller, etc...?

Thanks in advance, Jason

shawnryan1977

AC Members
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
I have Neolamprologus multifasciatus, I have four fish and two are a pair and have spawned 8 times in 6 months. Sand is something you should have with shell dwellers they love to move it around, with such small fish it is amazing how big of sand mounds they can make around there shells. When they spawn they will attack other fish even if the fish is bigger plus they seem to hate my Gold Mystery snail for some reason they attack it all the time and there anal about stuff in there territory they will clean constantly. Here is a site that has some good info about shell dwellers www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/shelldweller_corner.php.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I love my brevis, although I think multis are more fun to watch. I would strongly recomment a species tank (easy to do since a 10g can hold a pair or two) with a sand substrate. They are not the most striking cichlids in the world, but probably have the best work ethic by far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store