Is 10g too small to start out with?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
I would like to have a saltwater tank. The only one I have available right now is a 10g Marineland w/ a biowheel. Would this work or do I need to go BIGGER?

Thanks!

DrD
P.S. Bigger is always better

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
10g tanks are possible, but they are quite limited. Probably the biggest drawback IMO is that a tank this small requires daily attention to replace evaporated water. We're only talking 5-10 minutes on the typical day, but it's not something that you can skip and let slide...if you go out of town for a few days, you can't expect the tank to be functional when you get back if you don't have someone caring for it.

The other significant limitation on a 10g is that you are best off sticking with a single 2-3" fish. You can't keep multiple fish in a 10g unless they are REALLY tiny, like 1" neon or clown gobies. You can fit a significant number of invertebrates into a 10g tank with some planning and money, but stay realistic and plan for only a single fish.

So, in short, it's do-able, but it's not ideal. If you have the space/money, go for a bigger setup.

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I think I have decided to skip it.

I was at a LFS today that I haven't been to in about 8 years and it was very nice now. They had a great selection and everything looked healthy. They also have a 265g that I am eyeing!

Thanks again,

DrD

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
I can always dream! I stood there drooling over it, thinking about all the great things I could do.

The tank is huge. I am not quite sure where I would put it. I definitely want that one near a water source. They are asking about $1100 for the tank, hood and light. I am not sure if that included the stand - I doubt it!

DrD

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
I thought I'd just say this to inform you in case you end up buying this or any other tank. I would just go for the tank (and stand if you need it) but scrap their hoods and lights. If you want a hood with the tank go w/the glass tops as opposed to those plastic things. I only say this cuz if you decide to go reef, then those hood/light combos will do nothing to provide you with the means of lighting the tank properly ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store