Any tips/hints for new canister filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Well im about to buy a ehiem classic canister filter to work in addition with my aquaclear 500/110 on my 55 gallon. This will be my first canister filter and im excited since i know ill be helping my fish even more. Although i might not even need to extra filteration i can always sell the aquaclear.

I know you have a intake and spray bar. What do you guys suggest as far as placement of them? Totally opposite ends of the tank?

Also anyone else with the ehiem classic, do you use the tubes provided with the filter or did you buy different ones.

Any help, tips, advice, etc on canister filters would be great. Thanks :dance2:

**EDIT** I bought a Filstar XP2 instead

Last edited:

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
i dont personally own an eheim but i think it goes for most canister filters that you put the intake and return on opposite ends of the tank... correct me if im wrong but i remember reading that this makes for more "turbulent" water movement.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
use their tubes

very important to use eheim tubes to be sure of no leaks at connections

lquinsey

catfishtress
Feb 6, 2005
Florida
I don't know about the classic....I have the 2028 Pro and the instructions said to put the spray bar on the side, and mount the intake on the back, NOT on the opposite side. I also received upgraded Eheim spray bar and intake with the standard ones, part of a package special from Drs. Foster and Smith. They are awesome.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
I have a Ehiem 2026Pro for my 50 gallon tank and I have both the spraybar and intake on the same side, per the guide. My tank's a long and there's plenty of current thoughout the tank. I'm using the stuff that comes with the canister.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'm using an eheim classic 2215. I've got the spraybar vertically at one end and the intake at the other. I have my heater hanging near the intake and the warm water gets sucked into the canister and sent out the opposite end thru the spraybar, it helps even out the temperature thru the tank.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Well after having some problems getting ahold of the Eheim canister i ended up going with the Filstar XP2. I heard just as much good things about it as the Eheim's. Does anybody have any specific comments to the XP2?

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
I have a Filstar XP2 on my planted 55 gal and as a whole I'm pleased with it. I have to mess with it some to get it to prime, but I think that is operator (me) error as opposed to mechanical problem.
I'vew never had a canister filter before, just the hang on tank emporers with the biowheels. I'm really pleased with the quietness of operation, and the ease of cleaning. If there is air retained in the filter after you clean it, it will be noisey, but I hit on 2 things:
1.when I clean it I disconnect and take it to the kitchen sink. Clean it, and then refill it there instead of trying to backfill the whole thing from the tank.
2. If it is noisey when you start it back up, you probably have some retained air. I gently move mine around...tilt from side to side and front to back to help air get out. Some people have taked about having a whine to the system that they fixed by enlarging the holes ont he spray bar. I have not found it to be a problem.

I find it so much easier to clean that the hang on tank filters..I wish I'd done this the last time I had fish. I'm glad I put out the bucks to make the change.

I can't really speak tio it's superiority over other cannisters since I've never had any others, but I am definitely pleased.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Well just an update to let everyone know, Im finally done installing it.

Just incase anyone doesnt know this, i believe i saw it on this board somewhere, i got my Filstar XP2 from PetSmart for $81 when they had it *ON SALE* for $132. I printed out the products's webpage for the same filter from petsmart.com and drsfostersmith.com. Since Petsmart will price match they sold me the unit for $81 with tax :dance:

Installation was fairly simple although i ran into 2 problems. I could not slide those tubes up 5 cm like the directions said. I got it as close to 4 cm and clamped those suckers down. I actually broke out in a sweat and thought i was going to snap my pieces at any second trying to wiggle, jiggle, squeeze, push, pull the tube on. I hope it should be fine but just incase im going to pay extra attention to any kind of leaking at the joints.

Second problem was i washing out the Bio-Chem Zorb bag and dropped it and it broke open :duh:.. But since i got a HOB also i just have it running without it until i get to the store to buy another replacement bag.

As far as the placement goes, i have my HOB on the far left side of the tank. The intake tube on the far right. and the spraybar almost towards the middle. The pieces for the output tube came with a spraybar and a nozzle-type jet. What are the type of applications for each? Like what would be a scenario to use one versus the other.

In the short time of having both filters running ive noticed my two painted tetra alot more jittery. I wonder if this is due to both sides of the tank having a decent size current, where as before only the right side had any kind of current. Is having the HOB and Canister somewhat of an overkill? Should i just let my tank run for a few weeks then remove the Aquaclear 500?

Also if i keep both filters i got alot more room for filter media. What would you guys suggest i put in them? I have 3 stages in my aquaclear, and 2-3 in the XP2.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store