A weak breed of angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I

IGKYA!!!

We have a 30 gal Angelfish tank..... but only stripes and solids remain. EVERY, and I mean EVERY marble angelfish we've bought has died while his cohorts (also bought from the same tank) have died. Basically, we have bought 3-4 "batches" of 4 angels.... 2 regular and 2 marbles. But after a week, we have ended up with 0 marbles and all stripes and solids.

I am new to angels and wondering...
:confused:

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
what's the pH reading in your tank? Angles do well with a low pH, not sure if you know that ir not but only other thing I can say other than maybe your pH is a little high is maybe you've been getting bad batches. Are you getting them from the same lfs? That could be a reason....bad stock supply. I've never had a problem with my marble at all.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
Angel fish are amazonian, and as long as your PH is around 6.5, and temp is 72f - 81f, then HEALTHY specimins should be no bother to keep. But I have had problems with poor quality angels in the past. What do you feed them?

chewey

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
yakima, wa.
Visit site
ANGELS FINS UP!

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM WHEREVER YOU BOUGHT THOSE FISH. Try and take a drive out of the local area and spend the day on a road trip to different shops. You are having good luck with some of your anglels now and i would recomend a hospital tank for a couple of weeks to assure that the stock you purchase are strong. Gradually acc. them to their permanent tank. GOOD LUCK! CHEWEY

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Different strains of angel do exhibit different hardiness. Solid black angel is the weakest. Silver angel, which is closest to the wild type, is the strongest. Then you have grey, zebra, leopard, gold and blue and a list of other man-made strains that have hardiness somewhere in between. IME, marble angel is quite hardy and so your loss may have something to do with the source of your fish , rather than the strain itself.

Barbie

Fishaholic
Domestic angels are a far removed creature from the original wilds, in terms of tolerance for pH and hardness. I've kept and spawned them in the solid rock water that came out of the taps in Kansas City. The fertilization rate was low for the eggs, but it didn't keep them from trying. The pH there was well over 8.4 at any given time.

ALL new angels should be quarantined before adding them to an existing tank with angels. Angels are sensitive to a virus that has been known to wipe out breeders tanks, without being able to tell what caused it. The fish are fine in the morning, and dead in a few hours, with no real symptoms to treat. Quarantining new fish is an often skipped step, and its very important for the continued health of your tank. You don't just risk the health of the newly transported fish when you add it into an existing tank. You risk having to medicate the entire tank and potentially losing many of the fish you already had in there.

That said, it sounds like you just had bad luck with the marbled angels. You don't mention how long your tank has been set up, if its cycled, or the pH and temperature ranges you're keeping your fish at. That information could help us greatly in trying to help you diagnose a cause. Thanks :)

Barbie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store