Reef Construction

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Britfish

Registered Member
May 9, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I must say firstly what a pleasure it is to find and join your forum which I have already read some great advice.

I am in the process of converting my 6' 150g freshwater tank into a marine tank.
It started off as a fish only setup but as I get more involved I have decided to go the whole hog and make it a reef tank.
I have 50kg of ocean rock at the moment (will need a lot more) which I intend to use as a base for some Live Rock (yet to purchase).
How do I proceed,- should I build a reef with the ocean rock and fill up and cycle before adding any live rock, and can I "stick" peices of live rock together once it is submerged in water.
Books I am reading at the moment don't seem to cover this part of the process.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Britfish

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
By ocean rock, do you mean a dry, porous rock? If so, yes, you can use it as the base, partially submerged in the substrate, as a foundation for the live rock to sit on. There are a variety of ways to hold pieces together, depending on the final form you wnat. One option is to use marine epoxy--it's a two part gum that you mix together, then use to hold the rock together. It cures, and is very sturdy. Option 2 is to drill holes into the rock, and use a chunk of PVC as a biscuit to hold them together. Option 3 is to strategically stack rocks so they lock into place. What works best for you will depend on what animals you have.

You can cycle with live rock--the die off will create the ammonia spike you need, though frequently there are enough bacteria on the rock to minimize the ammonia spikes.

Britfish

Registered Member
May 9, 2005
Oriongirl,
Thanks for the speedy reply!!

Yes the "Ocean Rock" is dry and porous.
I was thinking of stacking it up on some homemade perspex "racks" so I could reach almost to the surface of my 2' deep tank.
I was thinking of placing a spraybar from a powerhead behind the rack - spraying through the rocks, but I am a bit concerned about fish getting into this void.

Would this be ok or do you not recommend building false aquascape

Thanks
Britfish

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
if you want to stick rocks together then use TUNZE coral fix. the stuff if great and i used it for all my coral and that sort of stuff. it isn't to expensive either.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Using the racks for support is not problem, but you'll still want to make sure you have enough if this will be your primary filtration--ie, the rack can make it look like more, but for filtration you'll still want 1.5-2 pounds per gallon. How big a gap will there be for fish to get into? I can promise--if there's room, someone will go back there. Not sure if they'd get trapped--if they can swim straight through, shouldn't be a problem.

Britfish

Registered Member
May 9, 2005
Thanks for the reasurance.
I will not be using the live rock as my only source of filtration. It might help thing if I told you my proposed setup, which is almost there.

6' x 2' x 2' with overflow weir and 1,1/4" standpipe into home made sump.
Sump is 30" long 15" deep and has a "Bioball" trickle tower.
I have bought a Aqua medic 1000 multi skimmer and a lifeguard fluidised sand filter.
I will also be using an eheim 2329 thermofilter which will contain efisubstrat, filter floss and carbon this will return to the main tank via a vectron UV25

I will also have 4 Maxijet 1200s for water movement in the main tank.

Lighting will be 4 T5 compact twins and 1 T8 Actinic.

As far as my home made reef racks go, I think it may be better to allow access for small fish and good water circulation.

Just one last point .would it be better not to put my coral sand substrate in the void behind the rock.

Does this setup sound ok or have you any suggestions.

Many Thanks
Britfish

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
One little thing if this is to be a reef tank I wouldn't have any filter media any where. The l.r. and sand filter should be more than enough . The filter floss catched detritus and will turn into a nitrate producer over the long term.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store