Baby bristles!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

9tails

AC Members
May 12, 2004
UK
Visit site
Wow, I have baby bristlenoses! I don't know what made me look under the bogwood, maybe because I hadn't seen my male marble bristlenose for a few weeks, but there they were! Loads of 'em!

Dad's guarding a hollow where I could see a fair few tiny bristles, some golden coloured and some darker. Mum is a run of the mill black bristlenose and I thought those two didn't get on. How wrong I was.

Now I know where my plants have gone...

If they all survive, and there's a fair chance they will as the tank is populated with cories, swordtails, guppies and danios so hardly dreadful predators, how long do you reckon before they all scoff the rest of my plants? :laugh:

Any ideas on what to do now? I've been feeding two pleco tablets daily for a while now, it seems everybody likes them, but should I give them more? Any advice most welcome.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I would love to see pics if you can post any, they must be very cute!! Congrats

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Wow.... Simply wow. Jealous, because you unknowingly bred an interestingly weird choice of fish to breed.

9tails

AC Members
May 12, 2004
UK
Visit site
I'm loath to disturb Dad as they're still less than 1cm long. I'll also need ULTRA magnification to get a good picture. I'm looking forward to them emerging into the open, I think it takes about three weeks.

Thanks Oddball, I never thought it would happen. I didn't knowingly buy a boy and a girl but I got lucky. I've had them both just over a year and they're still quite small, female about 6cm and male about 9cm. I must have dwarf bristlenoses!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Bristlenose are not hard at all, the farlowella types only a bit harder to breed in tanks. the big plecoa are not easy, they need clay banks for digging holes, or they use the holes dug by birds during the dry season which the cats use in flood.

Betta-Gurl

Betta-Gurl
Mar 11, 2005
Canada
i would love to see pictures... keep us updated!

clayt101

Registered Abuser
If you put food in there like zuchinni or algae tablets, they will probably leave your plants alone. Congrats on the babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store