Female bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Having seen my share of websites extollling the virtues of keeping bettas (personanlity, appearance, relative ease of care etc.) I have become interested in researching this fish. One of the things that I have come to assume is that in most cases the discussions on bettas and their characteristics focusses on male bettas which most people interested in this fish seem to primarily keep.

I have never been a big fan of long finned fish and I cannot truly say that I find the maile veiltail bettas available in pet stores all that appealing. The female bettas on the other hand seem to possess the briliant colours of the male betta with (at least from my perspective) more attractive, understated fins.

In terms of "personality" (such as one can say a fish has such a characteristic), are the the females typically as interesting with regard to their behavior as males are reported to be? I realise that this is a somewhat vague question but any experiences or observations concerning keeping female bettas would be welcome.

spongebobson

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Female bettas have huge personalities too, I have 10 females bettas in a 29G tank and they are so nice to watch.
you can have a Halfmoon, Crowntail, Double tail, Veiltail or Rosetail females, same as the male just short fins...some females can have huge fins not as big as the males but really close to it.

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
Aww females are great.
My absolute favorite fish I've ever owned was a female betta named Squishy.
Every time I'd stick my finger in the tank, no matter where she was, she would ALWAYS come up and swim around it playfully (not biting lol).
I also love the fact that depending on the environment and their temperament, you can keep them together.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I agree with the above. Both males and female have great personality, but IMO, females usually have more personality, are more adaptable, and even more so people oriented than the males. I can be on the other side of the room and wave to my female betta and she'll start right in begging.

batray girl

AC Members
Jun 16, 2005
east coast U.S.
i keep 2 females together in a relatively small bowl and they have never attemped to nip at eachother. my chocolate/steel-ish female is very active and eats a lot. she's always in motion, while my opaque female is very calm, hardly ever eats, and seems much more reluctant. i don't know if you'd consider those "personalities", but they sure have different behaviors considering they are tankmates of the same species.
i'm interested in breeding them, so if anybody has ANY experience with this, please contact me.

shadrac

shadrac
Feb 4, 2005
female bettas are great im in the middle of setting up a tank for one right now, i also have ine in my 29 and she is awsome she even lets me pet her when i feed the fish. females can also be agressive twords each other when i tried putting in a second my og female went berserk on her flared out her gills like a male and started ripping. but rember that can happen but most likly wont female are pretty calm for the most part but if you are going with muiliple females makes sure there in the same tank when you buy them or see if you can put them together in a tank at you lfs to see if there ok, or get a return policy for one. just to be safe. all in all females are just as good as the males.

flyinmysoup

Registered Member
Jul 2, 2005
Hi tuvok:

I'm new here. Great site this is!

My 2 cents worth:

If you don't like the long finned variety, you might go for the short finned variety we have here commonly in Asia.

Or else, you might wanna explore the possibilites of keeping wild betta. Here's mine. Its a Betta Pugnax. Beautiful fish with lots of personality. Peaceful betta this is. Doesn't bother the smaller fishes in my community tank.

Have fun with Bettas my friend!

Male B. Pugnax.jpg

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
flyinmysoup said:
Hi tuvok:

I'm new here. Great site this is!

My 2 cents worth:

If you don't like the long finned variety, you might go for the short finned variety we have here commonly in Asia.

Or else, you might wanna explore the possibilites of keeping wild betta. Here's mine. Its a Betta Pugnax. Beautiful fish with lots of personality. Peaceful betta this is. Doesn't bother the smaller fishes in my community tank.

Have fun with Bettas my friend!
I recently picked up a male at an aquarium society auction. I was not planning on getting him but, well, things happen. Anyway, I'm not really sure how old he is but his fins are relatively short. I would be surprised if he was a plakat type betta though as in my area we do not get much variety as far as betta spp. are concerned. The Pugnax in your photograph looks very much like a sparkling gourami.

Aznfryboi

AC Members
Jun 4, 2005
you ain't new here tuvok u lie u were in here since dec 04 u lier.. why are u all guys so wimps u guys should just breed betta instead of buying them!!! ya'll some loser...

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
If you'll notice, tuvok was quoting someone else, not claiming that he is new to the site. And you don't breed bettas just to get a few for yourself, it is really difficult to do properly and takes more time than most people on here would care to spend.

And if you think "ya'll some loser" (quite the speller on our hands) then GO AWAY, we won't mind REALLY

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store