whats with my gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
hey guys me again. Two days ago i got 4 turqoise gouramis, 1 senegal bichir, and already in the tank was a common pleco. Today i got home and noticed the 2 gouramis on one side behind their gills had theire scales missing( at least thats what it looks like) They are acting normal but im a little concerned and curious. Was it one of the other gouramis or was it the small bichir? possibly disease? i have no clue. any help is great.

gman52

AC Members
Apr 23, 2005
not sure on this one, but isnt that were the labryinth organ is located. i believe where it is located there are no scales, and the skin is soft there. it prob is scales missing, but this is another possibilty.

btw, listening to led zeppelin right now "physical graffitti - the rover"

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
Books always say that Gouramis are peaceful, however have caution. I have had many of gourami and this is what I have to say about them.
Blue Gourami- mine killed my whole tank when I was young
Powder Blue Dwarf- was fine as long as there was no others, but got beat up by a flame gourami
Female Dwarf- beat up the male?!
Fire Gourami- terrorized everything
Pearl Gourami- only nice one!
I have also heard that moonlights are nice

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
well today i figured out witch one was picking fights and stuck him in my 5 gallon. Ill keep him there for a day or 2 and see if his attitude changes.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Some of the meanest fish I've ever owned were the gold color morphed opaline gouramis...or any three spot/blue gourami in general.
The pearl gouramis I've kept have always been very peaceful...which makes them that much more desirable...especially since they're my favorite gourami to begin with. Beautiful fish.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd take some of them back...for sure. Keep only one male per tank. You can leave him a girlfriend though if you'd like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store