Is this black spot disease? or something else?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
I seek help. I don't know what this is or what to do. For the last few months all of my clown loaches have developed black spots all over themselves.
Here's a pic.-

I think this is black spot disease. This pic is of my avg clown loach, some of my clowns have many more black spots covering them. It's really hard to get good pic's of them to show how bad the black spots really look up close. I have had no fish deaths due to the black spots, so I'm not in panic mode yet.

Water Parameters-
Temp- 78.7 degree's F.
pH- 6.95
Kh-7 d/125ppm
NH3/NH4- 0
NO2-0
NO3-10
Cu- less than .5

Tanks- 95g, 90g, 85g, and 33g connected together with water-bridges. 300 gallons total.
The tanks/filters are well cycled the oldest about 3 years old. The filters I use are in my tank spec's below.

The complete story-
During Febuary, I recieved 2 clown loaches that I think hosted the black spots disease when I got them. I think they were the hosts because they were completely covered with black spots when I got them. (I got them from Aquabid, so I didn't see them before I actually got them) Soon after I took them out of Quarantine the rest of my clowns got infected. I screwed up by taking them out of Quarantine too early and screwed even more by hooking up the Q-tank (the 33g tank) with a water-bridge to my other tanks. I had these clowns Q'd for 4 weeks with no signs of ich. The Black spots did start to go away while I dewormed them with Pipezine in the Q-tank, but little did I know that I was dealing with these parasitic flukes called Black Spot.

When I 1st noticed the black spot outbreak in my main tanks, I treated all my tanks with Coppersafe. I continued the Coppersafe treatment for about 1 month with no noticable improvement, I think it actually got worse. Then I tried “Black Spot Control”, which is a dip medication by Aquatronics.(Aquatronic is now out of business and all their products have been pulled off the shelves) I then waited another month and treated all the tanks with Trifon. I've been using the Trifon for 2 weeks now.
http://www.novalek.com/kpd76.htm
I'm not sure what my next coarse of action should be. I recently purchased a new 190g tank. I don't want to set-up the new tank until I get rid of this problem.

I've been doing 2 -60g water changes per week for more than a few months now and I clean all my filters about once every other week. If it's a water quality issue I'd be very surprised because I had no problems until I introduced these new clowns with the black spots.

Here’s some additional info I found on how to treat black spot, from-http://www.novalek.com/kfaq.htm

Question #10: How do I get rid of an infection of black spots on fishes?
Answer: The medication of choice is Kordon's Trifon, containing trichlorfon. Many kinds of fishes may be found to have tiny black spots the size of a pinhead up to 1 mm in diameter on various parts of their body, such as in their skin on the head and body, inside their mouth, on their gill arches, and on their fins. The black spots are caused by the adult cercaria life stage of parasitic flukes, which are digenetic trematode worms, occurring when the mature female penetrates the skin of the host fish and lays or secretes thin flexible egg sacs called cysts. These cysts become surrounded by the fish's skin tissue. The black spots are caused by the development of the metacercaria life stage of the flukes in the cysts which accumulate black pigment cells (melanophores) around them. The metacercaria hatch out into free-swimming young. In those trematodes with the simplest life history, the young mature, the sexes copulate, and the female lays her eggs in the fish's skin. In most of the marine aquarium fishes with black spot disease, there has to be an intermediary host, such as a particular species of mollusk. Most cases of marine aquarium fishes having black spot disease have been wild caught within the previous month or two and are bringing the infection into the aquarium. Crowded aquarium conditions with resultant stress in the fishes aid in the transmission of the parasite. For treatment procedures see the Kordon Product Data Sheet for Trifon.

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes..that looks like black spot disease. It is caused by the larvae of digenetic flukes usually introduced by wild caught/pond reared snails or fish. The larvae encysts on the skin, fins or in the tissue of the host fish and may become impregnated with the host fish's pigment cells..hence the dark colored spots. Generally it isn't a harmful disease and the fish should remain healthy and behave normally. Treatment is very difficult and symptoms may disappear on their own in time. I wouldn't be overly alarmed by it.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Update- Another week has gone by and still no noticable improvement.

Does anyone else have any additional info on black spot disease?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Blackspot "disease" canot be treated. The encysted larvae are too well protected. It is dead-end in tanks anyway unless a gull or other bird eats you fish and comes back later to poop in the tank, plus you have to have the correct snail for the next part of the cycle.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
RTR said:
Blackspot "disease" canot be treated. The encysted larvae are too well protected. It is dead-end in tanks anyway unless a gull or other bird eats you fish and comes back later to poop in the tank, plus you have to have the correct snail for the next part of the cycle.
Nicely put RTR. :joke:

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Thanks RTR. With what you said, I will stop the Trifon medication treatment now. I'm not even sure if this is really is Black Spot Disease that my clown loaches have anyways. A few expert loach keepers think that it's possible that the black spots may just be age pimples. I'm not sure what to think.

Anyways, I've been waiting for this black spot to clear up before adding a new 190g tank to my current set-up. Hopefully I'll have that up and running by the end of Today or by next weekend at the latest. That should help out the water quality some.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
Update-
The black spots or "whatever they may be" are getting worse.

Here's my latest pic-

The loaches on the left and right have the black spots really bad.

I'm not using any meds right now, but I did just start using a UV Sterilizer. I'm not sure what to do here. I could Quarantine a few of the clowns and try some more meds or wait this thing out some more (This started in Febuary). I still haven't had any fatalities. No panic here yet, I'm just getting a little frustrated.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
It sounds like one of those things that require a good deal of patience. I think from what RTR said, it's just a matter of waiting it out and there isn't much you can do. From what I've heard here it isn't harmful to the fish as much as it's just an annoying thing to look at on your fish...lol...

I think about the only thing you can do is try and get all the snails out of your tank. One big reason I won't have snails is all the diseases that need such things as a mid cycle host.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store