My new anemone... is it OK???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RuninRonin

AC Members
Apr 20, 2005

I've had this anemone for 5 days now... everything was OK for the first couple days but this morning... well, it looks stuck and twisted. Does it need my help or should I just let it be?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well, it looks like it's really bleached but, I wouldn't try to help it by taking the twists out that will hurt it more than help it. What sort of lights do you have ? How old is tank? what sort of substrate do you have ? It honestly doesn't look too healthy to me . I'd say it need some pretty intensive care frequent feedings of meaty raw seafoods etc. If you could answer the questions I gave you I could probably help you a little more.

Mako

EET MOR KATFISH
Nov 19, 2001
Wake Forest, NC
Visit site
Wow now that looks painful! Pretty bta, I dunno if the white base means "bleaching" or not. The tentacles seem to have plenty color.

The only thing I can think would do this is a filter or pump output flowing directly on it. BTA's don't need a lot of heavy water flow, so if you happen to be hammering it with water, move the water outflow (try to bounce it off the glass to created a turbulent movement instead of a straight laminar flow).

One note, BTA's are one anemone that needs to be fed, either via a huge refugium or preferably some whole crustacean. Ron Shimek's book on anemones recommends whole small shrimp, like frozen mysis.

RuninRonin

AC Members
Apr 20, 2005
Thank you for the replies... the BTA eventually untangled itself without my intervention. I took the picture early in the morning when I only had the daylights on, the BTA is not bleached, it was just the picture.

I am having trouble feeding it though. I gave it some mysis and it had a little bit, 2 days later I gave it silverside, it grabbed it and shoved it in it's mouth but, 15 minutes later it spit it out.

Asked my LFS about the behavior and they said it was normal? is it?

brovo2zero

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
what were they feeding it on in the (lfs) i dont think its a huge problem but you could try some difernt food's could make a differnce

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
I don't mean to butt in here but I have a boubble tip anemone and is it ok to feed it mysis?? how often should I feed it, I have flourecent light

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yes, they reject foods from time to time. Try again the next day or try switching out the food if it doesn't like the first one. Mysis is an ok food but, bta's need fish as well and they should be the staple in it's diet,"think about that b/4 adding one to a tank that has fish other than clowns." I'd try feeding silver sides or chunks of marine fish that have been soaked in selcon or other coral vitamins. They will take shrimp but in my opinion they grow faster and do a lot better with fish. I'll be posting an article on anemones in the next few days!
I hope this helps you
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store