Angel Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nato435

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Fresno, CA
Angel Food plus new concern

What does everybody recommend to feed your Angels? I have been feeding Nutrafin Max Complete Flake Food, but they just don't seem interested. When testing the water they always come to the top like they are looking for food, but when fed they don't touch it. :confused: Water Parameters are as follows:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8
Temp: 74

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA
-Nato

Last edited:

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I feed mine Tetra Crisps, frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp, and Tetra Cichlid Flakes. I used to feed them live black worms, which they absolutely love, but an outbreak of Ich ended that practice really quick...luckily, I was able to cure it with no casualties.

nato435

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Fresno, CA
Is it possible then that the LFS I bought them from was hand feeding them Live worms?? I already feed frozen bloodworm for my puffer, they notice it, but promptly pass it up after nosing at it a bit. :confused:

-Nato

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would call the store you bought them from and find out what they feed their angels with....it could just be that they still need some time to settle in....if they are hungry enough, they'll start eating...you could try some live brine shrimp, but stay away from live worms.

..also, try turning up the heat a few degrees(78-80)..it might stimulate them to eat as the warmer water will increase their metabolism.

Last edited:

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Your water parameters seem fine (although you may want to increase the temp to 78F), but something is definitely going on. I have never known an angelfish to turn down a free meal, regardless of what it is. Mine eat everything, and run to the front of the tank to try and trick me into feeding them in between meals, to boot.

Diffident eaters are either uncomfortable in their environment (although then they probably wouldn't even be coming up to the food at all) or they also might be sick. How long have you had these angels, what are you keeping them with, and in how large a tank?

As a last resort, try freeze-dried bloodworms or Hikari frozen bloodworms just to see if they'll eat anything. If they don't go for that, I'd treat with Metronidazole (daily doses and substantial water changes for 10 days) to see if it's an intestinal infection that's bothering them.

nato435

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Fresno, CA
New Problem Included

I've had the 2 Angels for about 6 days now. They are kept with the puffer, 2 blackfin freshwater sharks, and a common pleco. The tank is a 29 gallon. These are 2 of 3 new additions to the tank (the other being the pleco.) None of the other fish are bothering them at all and they aren't bothering any of the others, but I did notice today that they have been bothering eachother. I bought them out of the same tank, so I assume that they should not be so territorial. Any idea as to why the would be nipping at eachother now?? Both of their tale fins are becoming a little frayed which is really bothering to me.... and I'm sure to them also.:(

They are awesome looking fish, but I don't want to keep them if they are just to be tortured in the environment I have them in.

:confused:

TIA for the input

-Nato

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I suspect your puffer is doing the tail shredding.

nato435

AC Members
Oct 22, 2002
Fresno, CA
No.... the puffer hasn't gone anywhere near them. I observed them for several hours during the day; I have watched them nip at eachothers tails though. One has been the definate instigator, the other just defends. Any other ideas???

Thanks

-Nato

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store