Setting up a Clown Fish tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LightMan

AC Members
May 19, 2005
I have an extra 20 long laying around and I wanna do something with it.

I saw a maroon clown at the local LFS and I would love to set up a tank for him, or a few of them. Any advice as far as the set up for them? I have a filter, heater and what not, and I am ready to start cycling the tank.

My main question is do they do well with live rock, or do they need a reef tank to thrive? With corals and the works?

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
They are great fish. You don't need a reef for Spine-Cheeks, years ago as a teenager I kept them for years using simple undergravel filters and a little live rock. But my smallest display was a 29; a 20 gal is kinda small for the Maroon; they are one of the larger clowns and mature at 5-7 inches so a 40 gal would be better. They can get scrappy so best to start with one small specimen not a group.
Here's more info;
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/maroonclnart.htm

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
A percula would fit the tank a lot better IMO. They don't get as big and they would get along well if you wanted to add another small tank mate."not a different species of clown or a damsel." Just make sure that everyone has a place to hide.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I agree, I wouldn't do a Maroon in a 20g for its entire life. Like FloridaBoy said they grow too large. I too would go with a Percula or an Ocellaris, Pink Skunk, or one of the other smaller clowns. I would say the 2 to stay away from (as far as size goes) is the Maroon, Tomato and the Clarkii. Some live rock will work fine for them. Most all clowns are pretty bold and will spend the majority of the time in the open. The one thing to stay away from unless you invest in very expensive lights (Power Compacts or Halides) is the common clownfish mate of the Anemone. They require lots of lights and if you buy a captive raised fish most cb clowns won't even host in anemones. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store