converting to brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
How many tablespoons/ cups would I add per week to a 25 gallon tank in order to convert from fresh to brackish water (aka to raise the salinity .002)?

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Well, if you premix your salt before hand in a full 5 gallon bucket, use your hydrometer/refractometer to measure the salinity in the bucket, then use the math to figure out if you need more of less salt.

Need less salt? Take out some water and add in freshwater.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
Meh, I'm trying to see if this is possible without a hydrometer. My mom's only go down to 1.012

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Full range hydrometers are available. Without either a hydrometer or a refractometer, you are totally in the dark. Not a good idea.

Marine mix takes up moisture frome the air. You cannot measure accurately by weight or volume.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
That is genius; thankyou.

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
You know, my tank isn't even cycled. Would jumping to Brackish before i add the bio spira be harmful to the fish, if I don't have to worry about the .002 thing since I don't have any of the nitrifying bacteria? I have some bio spira coming tommorow and I don't know what exactly I am supposed to do. Also, any tips on using bio spira?

Last edited:

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I'm really confused! Do you have fish in the tank now? If you do then you must go by the .002, that is both for the bacteria and the fish. At .002 the tank will recycle once you hit the final amount, but since yours has yet to cycle you will be fine. I don't know anything about bio spira, never used it. Just do the old fashion natural cycling.
I would HIGHLY suggest you purchase a hydrometer (full length) they are only like 10-12 bucks and will save you a ton of money and hassle in the long run. If you opt with brackish fish it is one of those requirements to have IMHO, and I've been keep brackish for over 10 years. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store