Catch and release native fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
I am not sure how long I am going to be staying in this town and I had the idea that I might collect some small local fish and keep them in a tank for a while and then release them when I have to leave the area.
In beginning to look into this I found, statements to the effect that it is no more acceptable to re release collected natives than to release store-bought fish.
There were two reasons put forth.
One: The risk of introducing to the local water, diseases which would not otherwise be likely to occur there, but which are "prevelant in aquaria"
Assuming that the wild fish does not come into contact with anything from 'aquarium fish' while in my care, I am not sure that I understand this one.
Two: The idea that releasing a 'stranger' into an established environment is disruptive to that environment and hazardous to the individual released.
This one made some sense to me, but I am looking for more information. would that apply equally to all species of fish? Is there away around that issue?
I would love input from anyone with experience in or understanding of these matters before I continue searching for possible species etc.

JimT

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Indiana
Contact your local Department of Natural Resources or Conservation Department and see what they say. It's either legal or it's not.

Jim

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I wouldn't do it simply because a lake or stream is an open environment and the tank, regardless of your upkeep and such is a closed environment. I believe that's what the first caution is about.....

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I would think there is a definate danger of passing on contagious diseases if you get a fish from the wild, throw him in with your tropicals and then re-release him, but it doesn't have to be that way. I would make sure you bleach treat everything that is going into the tank. Do not use any plants or animals from lfs and don't use any of the same tools you would use for other aquariums. Dangerdoll is right in the fact that the tank is a closed system, if you take precautions then the only diseases in there will be the ones the wild fish brings with it.

As for the individual losing it's natural instincs while in the tank, and becoming a disruption once re-released... The few fish you would be re-releasing are the tiniest drop in a bucket when it comes to the ecology of that stream as a whole. Consider the impact that hundreds of baitfish that are relseased into lakes after a day of fishing have (nobody worries about that). Those fish are artificially raised and sometimes not even close to being endemic species. You would be releasing fish into a waterway that they lived in a few months ago. I don't see the problem there. The worst that could happen is that they get eaten and help perpetuate the next species up on the food chain. Such is life.

Check to make sure you're not breaking the law when you re-release them (discouraged and illegal are two different things)and buy a fishing license so you don't get pinched when you're collecting (the license should make it legal to collect bait fish).

Great question, I can't wait to see the responses it generates.

Last edited:

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I've done it.

If it's legal,

Just release the fish back where you caught them.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Thanks all of you! This is very helpful. And rather encouraging :dance2:
The place I found the statements against re-release, was an archived thread here at AC, interestingly enough. The only reasons given were those I paraphrased above but a few other posters echoed the sentiment emphaticlly.
Just goes to show....something, I'm sure.
Thanks again for the great responses. I really appreciate having this group with which to think things through.
Anyone else want to weigh in?

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
Just make sure you don't collect anything endangered. There are usually some endangered darters and things in most parts of the country. You most likely won't catch them (they're rare) but make sure you can identify them just to be sure. Johnny Darters and Rainbow Darters are cool (breeding males are very colorful). They look and act a little like gobies. Get some glassjawed minnows and some kind of dace for the upper regions...very cool tank. Might have to put it in the basement to keep it cool though.

Probably get flamed for this, but another option would be to catch some small sunfish, feed the heck out of them, and have a fish fry at the end of the summer. If you feel bad, just keep telling yourself it's aquaculture, not fishkeeping. Those guys are pretty tasty, way better than bass or trout. :Angel:

Good luck and post or pm me and tell me how it works out. I've been kicking around the same idea for awhile now. BTW where do you live?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It is critical to make sure it's legal. State regulations vary widely--in Wyoming, transporting a live fish away from the site of capture without authorization is most definitely illegal, punishable by fines and loss of fishing privileges.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
Will definitely check legality Ty, will start wherejim suggested *s
At this point it may turn out to be a fantasy exersice afer all because my expected 35 gallon tank just fell through.
well, the tank didnt fall through anything, the deal fell through... :sad: (stupid car radiator)
In any case, I have only a ten gallon now, and I'm not sure that will be big enough . But it is still fun looking.
More good ideas, moonman, Thank you. I am on the NY shores of Lake Erie, near the Niagara river. In addition to the North American Native Fish Association, Does anyone have any websites or references that would help me learn about who swims here?

shadrac

shadrac
Feb 4, 2005
my old hort teacher always kept local fish in his class he had a huge tank that he had a 8in trout and a crayfish in and another tank that he would rais salmon fry in. and when they all got to big he releasd them. every thing that was in the tanks he got from local streams. for substrate it was a ton of dirt gravel rocks and sand. then he also hade huge chunks of wood he gout out of the stream. it was realy cool. he also had a water chiller to keep it the perfect temp and only fed the fish what they eat in the wild, like local bugs and worms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store