"Rusty" Algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lower_Level

AC Members
Jan 1, 2004
Canada
Visit site
I just got done completely dismantling my 30 gallon tank & starting everyting off fresh & new. I used a 100% silica sand as my substrate, and am using an Aquaclear 300, 201 powerhead & live rock for filtration. Lighting is currently not right (just using a 20w Dayglo fluorecent), but it's only on 3 hours a day later in the evening.

My levels are all over the place due to the tank going through stages of cycling, but SG is constant at 1.023 & pH seems steady around 7.9.

But as I've been watching the tank (for about a month now), I'm seeing more & more of this reddish, almost rusty coloured algae spreading across the sand.
There's also a bit of it forming on the glass & rocks.

Now I'm new to using sand, and I'm not quite sure how to clean this off! It's not slimy, and if it's hairy at all, it's a very very fine hair. It looks more like a discolouration than anything else; but it's hideous to look at & I'd like to get it under control now before any livestock goes into the tank.

Can anyone tell me what this might be & ways I can rid the tank of it? Any help is greatly appreaciated!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Search on diatoms--your most likely culprit. Usually wears out the dissolved silica (unrelated to the sand, this is coming in with the water) and goes away, but there are a number of cleaners that will happily consume it once the cycle completes.

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I have not had good success with silica sand in marine fish systems, but that's just me. I'm sure there must be others who are doing well with it. Lots of opinions/confusion out there on deep sand (DSB's), shallow sand, live sand, dead sand, sifted and disturbed sand, never disturbed sand, etc. etc. but speaking only from my limited experience, I will be sticking with aragonite based substrates.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I had 2 65's for about 2 years with 3-4 inches of silica, never had a problem with diatoms in either, and one was a FO that had very few cleaners (an urchin, a couple limpets). Cyano was a problem in the FO, but never in the reef.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store