Will my clowns take to the new anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UrbanSage

AC Members
May 23, 2005
Hello everyone.

I have a fairly new aquarium (75gallon with 75punds LR) that has been cycled for maybe 3 months now, and everything is looking very good, I have a Yellow Tang which is doing really good, 2 Yellowtail Damsels, one not doing so good and the other having a blast killing the other VERY slowly, only the future will tell I guess, I also have 1 Ocellaris Clownfish and 1 Percula Clownfish who is getting along really well, so ofcourse (and here is my question) I go out and buy an Anemone for them being the nice person I am, I read up on what kinds are not compatible so on and so on. Anyway at the LFS I again ask the store guy about recommended anemones for clowns, long story already long, I end up buying deffinitely not the cheapest but a $40 Long Tentacled Anemone (Macrodactyla dorensis) wich I rob from a clownfish at the LFS, I know brutal but what can you do......
At home now, the clowns are doing great, and the anemone is doing great....but not together, the clowns are very curious as with everything, I had a small piece of algae laying near the anemone and when the clowns move in to eat it they are extremely cautious and seem very afraid of the anemone.
I'm not asking for a solution as much as general comments to my situation. I feel bad for the Anemone, seems like a waste from my side, can only give it a good home from now on regardless. Will they slowly start moving in? How fast do clowns usually take to an anemone? Any help or comments that could help me if I buy a new anemone will be much appreciated.
:hang:
Thanks alot
Nick

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
If they are captive raised clowns they may never host with the Anemone, because they have never had need of one in thier life, so wont know what to do with an Anemone, so its a hit or miss, but clowns do host out of instinct, but it can be anything from a powerhead to a flower pot.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Also anems do much better in well established tanks. In order to keep your healthy you'll really have to stay on top of your water quality and dose with phyto and zoe every other day. Feed it silver sides or other marine fish on the off days .
hth
good luck

UrbanSage

AC Members
May 23, 2005
Thank you

Thanks for the replies.

Oh by the way, anyone know what tank raised clownfish tastes like? :Angel:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store