Damsels w/ bad attitudes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
Like a lot of people, my first fish were damsels. Three weeks ago we introduced a lovely yellow tang (he's doing fine now.. although he was quite shy and timid about eating to begin with) I've never seen the damsels (2) harrassing him in any way until a couple of days ago. These guys think they own the whole tank! Although he ignores them for the most part, they are truly becoming pains to keep. Now, I'm stuck with the dilema on what to do with them. The LFS will not take them, and my friends laughed at me when I offered them as gifts (gee... I wonder why). What should I do with these little guys? Also, any suggestions on fish that would live well with a tang? (taking the size of the tank into consideration... do not want to overstock)
Tank has been established for seven months. (adding livestock slowly)

75g
68lbs lr
12lbs lace rock
8 turbo snails
2 emerald crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
2 horseshoe crabs

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
damsels are a pain, and the only way to have them succesfully is either with only them or in a big tank with few others. there are heaps of great fish that can go with the tang, is your tank a reef or a fowlr type set up? make sure you are feeding the tang a wide variety of food, including nori, and that there is algae he can graze on.

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
Thanks for the info, Oliver. I have a small 20g tank that I once used for goldfish... perhaps that would make a more suitable home for the damsels? Or would it be too small? Yes, my tank is set up for a reef although I have yet to purchase any corals, etc. (I'd love to have a fox coral... would it be suitable for a beginner?) The tang is eating well, and has variety in his diet. Along with frozen foods, nori, and grazing for algae along the rocks, he also gets treated to some red gracillara from the refugium.

Euro-fill 125 sump/refugium/18 watt lamp
Seaclone 100 skimmer
Rio Hyperflow 14
Sea Swirl Oscillator 3/4
48" Aqualight Advanced

I think that's it. Anything important that I'm missing? Thanx!

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
i envie your yellow tang, they cost 160 AUD here, way to much for me. I got a sixline wrasse on saturday and I love it! It has such a great personality and is very active. I also have to recomend a coral beauty, absolutley superb fish, looks great, mine has such a nice deep purple colour. Also, if you are having troubble with algae on the sand, get a black and pink sea cucumber, they are awsome too, they doo a great job, they also eat poo and whatever is on the sand.

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
**UPDATE**

Damsels have been relocated to the 20g tank. Getting them out of the 75g was a task. So here's my next question... would it be advisable to add another (smaller) tang with my yellow one? (Possibly a Chevron Tang) I was told that if I did choose to add another one, the rockwork would need to be rearranged first. I was considering a tang mainly because of the nice growth of red gracillara in the fuge.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
your tank is way to small for another tang. The yellow will probebly outgrow that tank anyway.

Sarah

Should be studying...
May 24, 2004
Washington
Visit site
I'd agree with Oliver on the six-line wrasse.. I just got one and stuck him in the 10 gallon quarantine a few days ago, and he's so cool and pretty! I love him! A friend of mine has one damsel (yellow belly) in a tank with a clown trigger, a yellow tang, and a long nose hawk fish. They were all getting along well until a few weeks ago...It's time for Mr. Trigger to move into my big tank(240) because he's getting to be a meanie. The damsel picks on him anyways of course.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
dwraf angels are a greta fish, just watch out for ones like bi-colours because they are aggresive like anything. I recond that you should get some kind of clowns too. I love mated paris of fish, because the 'chemistry' between them is so wonderful. My mated ocellaris always swimm together and sleep together. And when anything gets in the tank the female protects the male. You can also get mated pairs of coral beautys for example of a bigger fish.

SummerMoon

Ce faci?
Apr 28, 2005
FWB, Florida
The six-line wrasse is very nice, yes. However, I was considering a four-line, simply because just about everyone I personally know who is into this hobby has a six-line. I want something a little different. Is there any major difference between the two, or is it just appearances and price??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store