fish cycle or fishless cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland ,Australia
hi i was just wondering if i used some water from my cycled 20 gallon tank to help fill a 75 gallon tank that i am setting up and then used danios as well whether that would cycle the tank ok or do people think that the fishless cycle is much better, and i should do that? what are peoples experience with using an existing tank to help cycle a new tank? :shark:

Thanx in adveanced James

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Water from a live tank will do very little if anything to help you,filter media will help a lot, as will gravel from the top 1/4"- 1/2" of the estabilished tank.

Fishy cycles are difficult to do without harming fish. They can be done but they are a lot of work, with a lot of risk.

Fishless are relatively easy by comparison, and will prepare your tank for a full bio-load all at once, so they really are far superior in my opinion.

Either way you go, transferring media or gravel from your estabilished tank will speed things up drastically, and time frames will be about the same with fishless or fishy either one.
Dave

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I have successfully instantly cycled 2 tanks ( a large and a small ) by using filter media from an established cycled tank. The best thing to do would be to let your filter for the new tank run on your old tank for at least a couple of weeks, probably longer

rohnds

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
Austin, TX (Born NYC)
www.geocities.com
Bencareful about using a filter media or substrate from another tank to seed your new tank since can also introduce unwanted pathogenes already existing in your older tank.

There number of hardy fishes that can withstand the cycling process of a new tank. Choice is your ... there in right or wrong choice.

The water contain no bacteria since bacteria need a surface to colonize. Using water from an older tank will do absolutely nothing to seed a new tank.

Rohn

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Bencareful about using a filter media or substrate from another tank to seed your new tank since can also introduce unwanted pathogenes already existing in your older tank.
While I fully agree with the basis of this thought, I generally am not scared of my own tanks. If they contain pathogens of a negative type I will kill them. If you don't have problems with your existing tank, then you should be fine.

This warning definately applies to media from an unknown tank. I do not add things from other peoples tanks, even those whom I trust greatly.
Dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store