Sponge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.geronimo23

AC Members
Dec 23, 2004
West Palm Beach , Florida
I have a Emperor 400 and was wondering if there's a type of sponge I can buy to use with this filter ? I have seen several people post here that they use and love sponges on their filters and I wanted to try to use a sponge but I dont know what to look for :help: . I tried going to my LFS and they had nothing that even looked like a sponge just the regular Emperor 400 media filters (blue with the carbon inside):(

AL

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It's easy; I've replaced all my Emp cartridges with sponge. Here's what you do:

For an Emp 400, buy two Aquaclear 500 sponge inserts. Remove the Emp cartridges and either pitch them or save them for a rainy day. Holding the AC 500 sponges horizontally over the Emp media well, cut the AC sponge so it's about half an inch (maybe a tad more) longer than the the Emp media well is wide. Then, just push the sponge in horizontally so it's filtering all the water from the spillover in the center of the filter, but so it doesn't impede the biowheels from spinning.

That's all there is to it. You get the advantages of a biowheel filter and (IMO) a more reliable design than the AC (again, IMO) with the longevity of the AC sponges.

Let me know if any of this isn't clear....

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store