O the possibilities

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Brisbane, Queensland ,Australia
hey all, just picked up my new 48x24x18 which is around 75G tank today it is so exciting!!!!!!
and i know i still have to cycle it but what do people think i should put in there. i was going to go planted and was wondering on the fish I like moonlight gourmais, red tailed sharks, congo tetras. i would like these but i dont know what else to put in and i know the red tail shark may be a bit aggro for the tank but what fish do u guys think would look good??????

Thanx heaps in advance :clap:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
The red tailed shark should be fine for the tank, especially if you give it a few good hiding spots. However you should only go with one, because they will very likely fight, they don't usually tolerate their own kind.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Moonlight gouramis sound like a great idea! They are good-sized fish that are beautiful and would make a great centerpiece fish. :) A red-tailed shark would be fine in a 75 gallon, but like Holly said, they will fight with their own kind so keep them alone. Diamond tetras look very nice as well. I think a school of diamond tetras would like magnificient in the tank, and it would compliment the moonlight gourami as well because both are very irredescent.

Diamond tetra:

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
taht is good news!!!

yeah i really love the red tail shark and the moonlight gourmai so that will be good how many Tetras and other small fish would be comfortable? how about afew zebra danios. and how many moonlights would be happy one or three because i have heard three works better then a pair?

thanx :thm:

Avenolpey

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
What is your tap PH. I would think about staying as close to your tap rather than selecting a stocking that will require tweaking your PH. If I had known this, with native PH of 8.1, I would have done an African Cichlid tank. It makes the stress of water changes minimal etc... If you PH is low you can go Amazon, if neutral a community and if above 8 African Cichlids. I am sure opinions on this will vary, since of course you can shift PH with various techniques.

With 75 gallons you have lots of options.

jimmypossum

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
ph

well um i am not sure of my exact ph i think it is perhaps around 8 however i do not want to go the course of cichlids, will this be ok i plan to buy a digital ph measure. so i can get the ph very close to that of the tank water when making up new water. would this be ok.

Avenolpey

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
There are more natural ways to shift and stabalize PH than adding chemicals while preparing the water. For instance driftwood in the tank, or peat in the filter path, to lower it, or crushed coral mixed in to your substrate to raise it. :)

Avenolpey

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
First figure out exactly what your PH is. Then if you need to lower it for your population put some driftwood in while you are cycling the tank and and monitor the PH shift. Check Holly's recent thread on driftwood. If you need to lower it more, then add more driftwood or look into peat.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52597

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store