Are my Angels ready to breed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Parrotthead

Registered Member
Nov 30, 2002
Portland, Or.
Visit site
Two months ago, I bought a Pair of large silver angels at a local fish shop, after watching them for a couple of weeks. I noticed that they had paired off and were staying closly togeather. I placed them in a 72 gal. plant tank with an assortment of other community fish. (Groamies,gold barbs, cardinal tettras, rainbows, siamease algea eaters, a big pleco, and a few fiddler crabs.) In the past few weeks they have been "attacking each other". The female has turned sort of yellow on the top of it's head. I have seen them bite at each others mouths, locking on to each other sometimes. She is picking at a flat piece of driftwood, possibly cleaning it. I have never had a breeding pair a Angles before and need information on what to do and how to care for them if they do lay eggs. l:D

Last edited:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Sounds like it. As for advice on breeding them, any aquarium book will be able to give you much fuller information than anyone can on this BBS.

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
The tank mates you have in with the angels are really good at picking off the eggs, so that your angels may have already spawned, and unless you were watching at the very moment, you'd never see an egg. The gouramis, barbs, and rainbows would devour most of them before the male even gets a chance to fertilize them. A pleco will just fall right on the egg mass and devour it while the parents fruitlessly try to force him off.

Fiddler crabs regardless of what a seller may say are marine terrarium animals, not freshwater aquarium creatures. They require a specialized terrarium, with a puddle of saltwater on one side and a clay substrate on the other so the can dig tunnels and fill themn with air or saltwater as they please.

Usually angelfish lay their eggs on a vertical surface, such s the side of a pot, the leaf of an Amazon sword plant. That they are cleaning a flat surface on the bottom suggests to me that they have tried the normal spots and failed due to the egg predators that this tank is full of. They are desparately trying an alternative, but one which will fail too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store