stocking with Kribs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ramirezi

Punish the Deed not the Breed
Apr 26, 2005
Florida
I'm helping a friend set up a 29 gal tank. it's cycling now. he would like a pair of Kribs like I have.
He also likes harlequin rasboras. will a school of these be fine with Kribs?
will they actually school? the ones in the petstore appear to, but they have like 30 in a tank. what other fast schooling fish can i put in with the Kribs? I say fast because from experience, the Kribs can do some damage...and they like to pick on slow moving fish. i tried cherry barbs with mine at home, and they became lunch. i suggested danios, but he says they're too dull colored.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Harlequins will shoal, you could also do Cardinals, Neons, Glowlights, Black Neons. Really anything like that. If ya want something that was a little more nasty tempered, get some Serpae Tetras.

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
I have a pair of kribs in a 38g tank, and I've got a shoal of orange von rio tetras, and a shoal of harlequin rasboras (it's small now, but I'm just building it up). All are doing fine, though I lost an orange von rio or two in the first krib spawn. Now they know when to stay away. I was kind of hoping for two distinct shoals, but they are all schoolign together... I know that by having two types of shoaling fish, I have less of each type to school, so they aren't as packed as they would be otherwise. In a 29g I'd reccomend finding one type and sticking with it. But, yes it can be done, and yes it will look nice! Be sure to have some good caves for the kribs (I find locating them at the edges of the tanks helps so that part of the kribs area is outside the tank, and they dont' have as much in tank territorial space...) Also, some hiding spots for the schoolers away from the kribs territory is good...
Emily

pophead

back from the dead.
May 19, 2005
Edmonton, Ab. Canada.
the kribs might be too aggressive to schooling and shoaling fish. I lost two glowlight tetras and 3 guppies to a krib. if you put any fish in a krib tank make sure that they are big enough not to be eaten.

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I just replaced my the neons in my 29g with hatchet fish. Big improvement!! They actually school together (neons just spread out around the tank), they stick to the top 1/3 (pretty much off the kribs radar so to speak), and are really fast. I lost some color, but as far as "fitting" my tank, I think they're winners. I'm also hoping that they will not be as much of a threat to future dwarf cichlid spawns.

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
NatakuTseng said:
That method works when they have eggs and wrigglers, but once the fry become free swimming, the ENTIRE tank becomes the krib territory since they "parade" the fry around the tank.
True, my kribs do parade their fry around, but at that point, my schoolers know to stay near the top of the tank, and they do fine. Actually, they parade the fry for a while, and then lose interest and the fry dissapear. I presume they are eaten... Actually, my Kribs are in great color right now, so I'm thinking after hte next water change, they'll dissapear for a week or two, and then show up with a bunch of fry...

Emily

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
you might try some phantoms(black,red). i read that sometimes they go ballistic and beat up all the fish in the tank . poor guy got his rams rippes to pieces. i assume they could hold their own against kribs. you might get issues with the sexes figting though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store