75 gallon questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Currently I have a juvenile Oscar (nothing fancy, just a run of the mill Oscar), a paradise fish, and a common Pleco in a 10 gallon temporarily until I can get either a 55 or a 75 gallon. What other tank mates could I have for the pleco and the oscar (the paradise fish will remain in the 10 gallon)? I was thinking of a colorful cichlid such as a green terror, jack dempsey, blue acara, or maybe something along the lines of a convict or texas cichlid, or a primealoid type catfish. Any ideas are welcome, and I am willing to accept the fact that it would be overstocking if I put tankmates in.

Also, before anybody asks me what the tempermant of my Oscar is, let me save you the time. Its bark is worse than its bite. It does not mind the Pleco one bit since the pleco keeps to himself, but every once in a while the paradise fish will wonder too close to the oscar, and the oscar will give chase, but NEVER bite. My paradise fish has perfect finnage, and is not stressed out at all. The paradise fish suffered a worse beating from his old tankmate of the same species who died from jumping(I bought the two before I knew anything about fish, luckily I didn't buy the iredesciant shark that I was going to buy :thm: ).

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
You've got two 5" plecos.

I assume you will be moving both into the 75 gallon?

Get the 75 gallon.

It will have room for your plecos and oscar.

I also notice you have a 4" catfish of some type.

Consider moving it to the 75 as well.

Last edited:

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I was planning on putting the 4" catfish in with the paradise fish when I moved them (which I am pretty sure the catfish is an abnormally big redtail/rainbow shark). Do either of these sharks' color fade? Because is has the shape of one of the sharks, but it is a gray color. Not albino, just gray, like somebody left a rb/rt shark in the sun too long. Back to what could go in the tank, what is all of your opinion's on putting the paradise fish in there too? Is it possible to have this set up:

Oscar
Pleco x 2
Paradise Fish
or <3 smaller fish... maybe a Discus, convics, or smaller angels or something

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Hmm if the 4" fish is maxed out then okay move it with the paradise fish.

That leaves room in your tank for one more fish to accompany the oscar.

Another cichild could do it.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I'm leaning towards the following cichlids, could somebody give me the pro's and cons of each:

A (breeding?) pair of Black Convicts

Discus

Another Oscar (I really dont want to tackle breeding these guys though)

Angel

Jack Dempsey

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
COnvicts are smaller than oscars, dont know if he'd eat them when grown. Any fry would likely be eaten, though convicts are quite aggressive when spawning...

I would skip on the discus. They are very tempermental fish, don't do well with others (not for hurting the others but for being stressed by them).

For similar reasons, I'd not put an angel in with the oscar.

A dempsey would work. Get one about the same size as the oscar and grow them up together. They have similar temperments, and as long as they grow togehter in a suitable tank could work. Introducing them as adults would have potentially disasterous consequences.

Two oscars can often do O.K. if they grow up together too, though fighting might occur when they are older, just something to watch for. A 75g should provide good room though... Just because you have two doesn't mean they will be male and female, and certainly doesn't guarantee breeding. You could always go with a tiger oscar or albino oscar if you want something different from your standard (red?) oscar. Just stay away from the blueberry oscars and the like--those are albinos that have been dyed and they will lose their color and not be so healthy.

Emily

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
If I were to go in the direction of another oscar, would it be alright if the newer oscar was a little smaller than the old one? I'm figuring by the time I establish the new tank, my Red Oscar will be no more than 5½ inches long. I was planning on getting a smaller (1-3") oscar when I get the new tank.

Also, if I do get an oscar, what kind would you reccomend? I think the Albino strain looks kind of cool, but I've heard that to achieve an albino look the oscars are put through some tough times. Also, I've heard that when Albino oscars age, the orange pigments on them look like they were painted on. Also, I've seen on liveaquaria.com "zebra oscars" has anybody had an experience with them?

firefly

AC Members
Jun 6, 2005
Iowa
IF your other oscar gets to be 5" or so, it will be hard to put an oscar in with it. However, if you add the new one at the same time you move him to the new tank (so no one has territory yet) you might be o.k. A little smaller is fine, but I wouldn't go too much smaller (3" rather than 1").

We've had largeish (6") albino oscars in our store, and some have been really pretty (we had one that was an orange sherbet color all over), others have been a little ugly. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not sure what you mean by "tough times" for the albinos. Basically, they come about from a selective breeding program. Often, any animal being bred for such a particular trait can have other health problems from undesirable genes that are being left in to keep the desired trait. For example, tiger barbs are very hardy. Albino tigers and green tigers are not. Many purebred dogs and cats have huge health problems. Dalmations are often deaf, persians often have sinus problems from their flat noses... Or, just look at the fancy goldfish. Many of the bubble eyed fish have a hard time finding food to eat because the bubbles block their vision. Albinism is in itself a genetic abnormality that would not occur in the wild. An albino creature would be too easily spotted by preditors and eaten, and would not survive well in the sun etc. However, in a home tank it doesn't usually pose a huge hardship, though because of the selective breeding it may have other problems and be a bit less hardy. Mutts of just about anything tend to be healthier. In a regular albino oscar, the stripes have NOT been painted on, and I've not seen one that really looked like it. However, as I said before, there are some albinos that are dyed (pink ones, and blueberry ones). Avoid those. I'm not familiar with a zebra oscar, but as long as it was merely selective breeding and not artificial dying that caused it, it would likely be fine. Really, the difference in the oscars is mostly just color (and possibly a slight amount of hardiness), so what you chose is up to you. Go with what you think looks nice.

Emily

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store