Lost a lot of fish lately

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lenore

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2005
I've never posted before, but I have consulted your forums before for info. I've a 55g tank that is roughly 5 years old. I have some fish that have been with us since we set up the tank. However, over the last few weeks we've lost a number of fish. We lost an entire school (5) of green barbs, 2 clown loaches, 2 kuhli loaches, 1 swordtail and a couple of neons. Now this wasn't all at once, just one-by-one over the last month. Some of the fish were quite old and their time simply may have been up, but we've never lost this many so close together before. In addition, we recently restocked the neon school, and 4 have already disappeared - no bodies found - within 2 days.

Currently the tank contains 1 blue gourami, 4 head-tailight tetras, 2 glass tetras, 2 danios, 4 neons, 3 clown loaches and 1 pleco. The water levels seem fine, save that the nitrates are a bit high, but I can't seem to bring them down and my understanding is that this won't kill off fish, although it may stress new fish. I do 10-15g water changes about once a month.

I'm at a loss. One of the clown loaches was really chasing the barbs, but it seems unlikely that they were doing any real damage. There is no sign of disease. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are the pH and KH? Once a month doesn't seem to be large enough, especially with some larger fish in there.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
I suggest you look into "old tank syndrome"
You can begin with seaching "ots" on this forum.
Also, someone is going to ask you, so it might as well be me, please post water test numbers. It might help.
(For instance I am pretty sure that ots inivolves a change in ph as well as high nitrates.)
Larger /more frequent water changes would be the only way I know to remove more nitrates.
like you, I dont think high nitrates could be killing fish.( not an expert) But then again, I don't know what you consider 'high'. again, numbers would be good.
Good Luck.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
What are your water parameters?

10-15 gallons once a month for a water change seems not sufficient. Since you are losing so many fish at a time, it could be an ammonia or nitrite spike, which is what happened to me as well and I lost almost all of my fish at one time. Do frequent water changes until you can get a lower ammonia or nitrite number, like 25% two times a week.

Also, clown loaches will be stunted in a 55 gallon. There are other loaches that will work better in a 55, like chain or zebra. Also, the tetras probably like to be in larger groups. You should get one or two large groups rather than an eclectic selection of tetras.

These are just my suggestions.

DeepThunk

Registered Member
Jun 11, 2005
"Since you are losing so many fish at a time, it could be an ammonia or nitrite spike,"

IMHO that guys right, thats just what it sounds like. if a customer were to come to me at work and tell me that sad tale i would tell them to test for ammonia (after verifying they werent using untreated city water for thier water changes)

:cool2:

Lenore

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2005
Thanks for the advice

Both the ammonia and nitrites are testing at 0, so I don't think a spike is the cause. Plus, I would think that would wipe out more than one fish at a time. This hasn't been a mass killing, but a slow trickle. And my oldest fish seem unaffected. The Ph is about 7.3, Nitrates about 50-60. Basically, everything is falling within the "normal" ranges according to the tests I have.

I did a major water change a few days ago - roughly half the tank. I basically do quarter tank water changes once a month, but it sounds like others think I need to do more than that, so I'll give it a try. I'll also search OTS on this forum and see if that sheds any light on it. The recent disappearance of the neons made me think someone might be eating them, but for the life of me, I can't think of who in the tank would be inclined to do such a thing. Most aren't big enough to eat a neon, even a small one.

Thanks for the help.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
You really should change between 30-50% of the water weekly. That is the usual schedule for most of us.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
I'd be doing at least 50% a week in that tank. If not two 30% changes a week. Just for the clown loaches, they're pretty sensitive. Those nitrate levels are on the high side, and could have resulted in one of the reasons why the fish died off. For the health of the clowns I'd bump the temp up to 80ish and start looking for a bigger tank for them.

Lenore

Registered Member
Jun 14, 2005
Temperature has fluctuated a bit

It's been beastly hot here (DC) so there has been some fluctuation, although not major. Just the basic change of season temperature balance issues. And I've never been able to get the nitrates entirely under control.

I've been doing the water changes once a month since I set up the tank, according to books and other aquarium owners' advice. We've had good luck up until now, but I will start changing more frequently in an effort to avoid this problem again.

I've always had good luck with the clown loaches - one in there now is going on 5 years old - but I didn't realize that stunting their growth also shortens their lives. I'll have to set up something different for them.

I doresearch all of the fish before purchasing them to make certain everyone will be happy and healthy. I've always considered myself a dilligent fish parent, but apparently I've still a lot to learn;)

Thanks again for all of your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store