Baby Longhorn Cowfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oncowcow

Registered Member
Jun 15, 2005
My LFS had some baby cowfishs (long-horn and camsel) for sale for 2 good 2 weeks. They are all between (1/2 to 1 inch).

However, none of them were being sold (maybe because they can release toxic substance) during that 2 weeks.

and finally I got a tiny one myself (just can't help it) and a few days afterward they were all gone....not sure if they are being sold or all die in one stressful poison excretion of one of them.

I didn't put this tiny baby in my main display (40g) since I don't want any of my tankmates being poisoned. He is in my 10g tank at the moment with an algae eating crab and 2 hermit crabs. They are all living well together and eat fine.

I need some tips from other members

1) how long this baby will outgrow my 10 gallon tanks? I know the adult size may be as long as 1 feet 18 inches.

2) Are their sharpen teeth keep growing like puffer or rabbitfish? Do they need hard shelled food to trim down their teeth?

3) My 10G has some algae outbreak problems since all the snails were done by the hermits (they love their shells!!!!!) Do u think a algae eating blenny or bi-colour blenny can live with my baby cowfish?

4) His favourite food is brine shrimp and blood worm .... do they need greens food for nutrition?

Thanks in advance.

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
mine grew pretty fast. i keep it with a bamboo shark and a snow flake eel. my eel did try to nip at it once but nothing bad happend. It lived for about a year before it got sucked up into a hose. i feed it ghost shrimp, brine and krill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store