Will someone do something!!!!boycot wal-mart fish tanks!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
im really pissed off today. i went to wal--mart and i noticed that they had 1'' oscars in their tanks. i ussually keep my mouth shut in situations like this and i didd until this 12 year old kid with his momma shows up with one of those cheap 5 gallon bowfront tanks.they look around and just that poor fishe's luck they pick a liitle itty baby oscar. i know why people like thenm with the black and white patterns.anyways they ask this old lady that they chucked in at that section if the oscar would be ok in that 5g. i almost spontaneously combusted when she said it would be fine andd even tried to sell her some neons to go with him. the old lady got called off for a few minutes so i took the chance and walked up to the lady(she got scared the firt few seconds ,i happen to be 6'4. )i explained to her that the oscar gets about 30cms long and that even neon wouldnt be ok in the 5g (imagine chucking neons in an unheated uncycled tank)i hink the oscar sighed of relief when she left and put the 5g back on the shelf where it should stay. maybe i should have made a suggestion like a betta with cories and a snail or whatever. anyways when the fish hag shows up while im deciding which betta i rescue she asks me where the lady went . i tell her and boy was she pissed. she told me to get out of her section ( :argue: :rant2: :rant2: :argue: which i did with pleasure(after gettin a gorgeous purple and blue crowntail betta).now was i in the wrong? i dont think so.every time i got to a wal-mart im really sad for the poor fish in there(including the ones decomposing in the filter intake). shoulnt someone d some thing. what do you all think of this?

(every time i got there i end up with high pressure and a headache.)

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
Swimfins said:
a crown tail betta at walmart? really?

sorry, the walmart thing has been hashed and rehashed and hashed again....
and the fish keep coming. :mad2:
i was surprised too . saw the same one (not as pretty))on aquabid for 100$ maybe a mistake from their suplier

so im not the first person that thinks wal-mart should stop seling fish?lolololololololololololololololololoololoololololololololololololoolololololololololol
i mean they cant even design a filter that works(have you seen those things?)

pikwik

Fish Are Friends
Jun 13, 2005
Surrey, BC
Wal-Mart is brutal!!!!

I went to Wal-mart a couple days ago and I swear there was a dead fish in almost every tank. You call for help and someone comes from the perfume section to help who knows nothing about fish. I love shopping at wal-mart but they should not sell fish!!!

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
pikwik said:
I went to Wal-mart a couple days ago and I swear there was a dead fish in almost every tank. You call for help and someone comes from the perfume section to help who knows nothing about fish. I love shopping at wal-mart but they should not sell fish!!!
/\ Amen to that!

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
This topic has been done a hundred times and will probably be done a hundred more, the fact is that there are lots of people out there that are unhappy with the situation there. If your unhappy with them, you should write a letter or e-mail them and tell them the situation. If they were smart they would realize that dying fish is not good business, nor is selling fish that will probably die in the first couple of days. :)

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
As bad as it is, the local Wal*marts bring in some of the more hard-to-get fishes I've ever come across.

I got my two corydoras metae from Wal*Marts.
I loved those things.
One died so the other is now lonely. :(
I can't find another one from any of the LFS' around here. :(
Mail order is a ***** and a half into Hawaii due to DoAg rules.
I've only seen ONE auction for the metae on AquaBid, and it's from a SE Asian country!

I've seen medium sized blue dolphins at Wal*Mart.
No one else brings in stuff like this!

Sure, they can keep their stock better, but some of the other LFS' are not that much better than them.
The Wal*Mart employees get paid dirt - see news stories about Wal*Mart and unions in the media.
I don't expect them to have top-knowledge of all fishes.
I do find it refreshing that the Wal*Mart brings in stuff that's not normally available down here.

Haymarket

AC Members
Jan 4, 2005
I think the vast majority of oscars sold in the hobby, Wal-Mart or otherwise, end up in horrible conditions. One large LFS I go to has at least 300 oscars in stock at a time, and they move out. Every LFS I see has at least 20-30 oscars. There just aren't near that many tanks over 50 gallons out there. Probably 90% end up in 20 gallon tanks (or worse) to suffer and develop severe HITH. It is just the way it is.

FishSeller

AC Members
Apr 28, 2005
I would suggest not buying ANYTHING from Wal-Mart if your convictions go that deep. This goes from laundry detergent to new aquariums to tires to groceries. Unfortunately, the people looking at the bottom line in the Wal Mart fish department don't really care if you bought a fish to "rescue" it or if you bought a fish because you thought it was pretty. They also know that the odds of buying just one betta while you were in the store are pretty slim. You probably bought more merchandise. Ash is right, write letters. Write real letters, not emails. Contact your local dept. of agriculture. Your state may have guidelines for keeping fish in a retail environment. Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE ANYTHING TO ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUPS! These people have one goal- eliminate all interaction between people and animals. PETA has tried continually to pass a bill requiring ALL animals shipped on an airplane or sold in a retail environment to have a certificate of health and a certificate documenting the animal's origin. This would mean a bag of 500 Neons would need 500 seperate documents. This could eventually shut down the domestic and/or ornamental animal trade.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
i dOnt reallly have time to call an mail wal mart and the agriculture dep. plus why would they care?(in reply to ashdavid)also for some reason people keep buying fish there even if there are dead ones in the filter intake. no sensible aquarist would buy fish from a tank where 90% of the stock i in advanced decomposition.the boycott thing was more of an expressin to show im pissed and really hope they shut down at least the tanks.as for the other sections i buy lots of stuff there.. i get lots of cans of whatever same as the groceries but half the price.has anyone gotten some horrible experience with fish at wal-mart?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store