Whats wrong with this filter...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
besides the fact that it is 10 years old. I put water in it, and put the intake tube in a bucket of water and plugged it in, and it just makes a noisy like it's trying to suck up the water, but nothing happens. I cleaned it good, and still nothing. Its a Hartz Model III(discontinued....God know when) Any help about fixing it would greatly be appreciated.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
Could be the electric motor is dying and to weak to pull the water up. My 8 year old whispers did the same when I tryed them motnh ago. I don't know if age had anythign to do with it, but it was all I used on my old 20. So if thats the case you mind as well throw it out, not worth hassel to fix.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Hey, I assume to did the 'Filter Himlich' as I have come to calling it... dump a few cups of water into the filter, it gives int more suction than if it was pulling from air.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
even though you're a devils fan...

check the impeller. I've "rescued" a few old pumps by removing calicium deposits on the impeller. maybe the impeller is locked up or something. other than that, I dunno, you might be able to fasten a new pump on it and just rig it to the old chasis. better $5 than $20.

BTW, Go Kings Go! ;)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
you pre-filled the filter with water to make it easier to prime?
the tube is not clogged somehow?
check the impeller and make sure it rotates freely on the metal shaft?
check the impeller and make sure it spins freely in the well?
with the filter plugged in... did you try to jiggle the tube around a bit to see if was just a little tight somehow?
does the impeller spin when "just it" is in the well? i mean with it plugged in.... does it try to pump or create water movement with the tube removed and water over the top of the impeller?

just some random thoughts... i have an old ?whisper? that seems to jam up when you put the tube in sometimes......

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Concur with the last. Make sure it's properly primed, and that the impellor is free to rotate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store