Siamese Algae Eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
Siamese algae eaters are one of the best and most elusive algae eaters available. They are they only fish that will eat red and black algae but you can never find them except online. The ones sold in pet stores are usually chinese algae eaters, false siamese algae eaters, or flying foxes. None of these species do a good job eating algae. I was at Petco the other day and in a batch of black neons were three true siamese algae eaters. The clerk even argued with me at first saying they were black neons even though they were 3 inched in length and clearly an algae eater... (sigh). I got two for the price of two neons. They are doing great and my otos try to school with them.

AquaGhost

AC Members
May 10, 2005
I like them, and my LFS sometimes have them with properly name and label. However, they can become quite large and dash around the tank a lot, especially at feeding time, and that could scare other small or shy fish.

Also, you sorta have to starve them a little for them to do a good job. Mine are just feed on flakes nowsaday and let the algae grow wild :(

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
What do Siamese Algae Eaters look like? I think that I might have one but am not sure.

Kissofthegorami

Broke College Student
Feb 24, 2005
Boston,MA
AquaGhost said:
I like them, and my LFS sometimes have them with properly name and label. However, they can become quite large and dash around the tank a lot, especially at feeding time, and that could scare other small or shy fish.

Also, you sorta have to starve them a little for them to do a good job. Mine are just feed on flakes nowsaday and let the algae grow wild :(

You probably have a false SAE or a flying fox. True Siamese algae eaters get 6" max and are normally under 4" in captivity. They readily feed on algae. Problems people have with the flying fox and false algae eater is that they do not eat much algae and they whip around the tank like crazy.

http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_fish.php
http://www.petresources.net/fish/article/sae.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/saes.htm

AquaGhost

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Thanks for the links. I also did extensive research before getting them, and I'm pretty sure mine are true SAE. I'm lucky to have some real good LFS around here that carry them quite often, with price ranging from US$3.50 to US$5.00 for a 2-inch specimen.

Here is a picture of mine:

Believe me, as they get older, they do become "lazy" and will go after flakes and other fish foods more than any type of algae; and their 4-inch-plus size can really disturb shy fishes when they dash around...

Cheers,

kamla

The Algae Grower
Feb 8, 2005
NJ
AquaGhost said:
Believe me, as they get older, they do become "lazy" and will go after flakes and other fish foods more than any type of algae; and their 4-inch-plus size can really disturb shy fishes when they dash around...

Cheers,
i second that..
when i got my SAE they were 3 inches.. now they are around 4 inches..
they still much on alage but mainly other fish food

i think the best bet are otos...

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
Yep, that sure looks like an SAE...
Dark side band that runs from nose to tail...
Dark edged scales makes the fish look almost reticulated...

Man, I wish I could get some! :)

Shorgasm III

Bichir Keeper
Jun 20, 2005
newbi, so i gotta ask... what are otos?

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Hey Kiss, that link to the algae eating fish page was pretty cool...those redline sharks are quite striking! :D

Shor, an oto is a small algae eater that grows to less than 3". They look sort of similar to the true SAE in the pics here. They are not aggressive and are great for small tanks with small timid fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store