so who eats brown algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mtdewlover

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
I have a 29 gallon cichlid tank. I want to have a low lighted planted tank. Well, I have a huge pleco. I've heard he will eat the plants and should look into getting something else. My b/f has SAE's in his tank and seem to do fine. But, I had brown algae thats why I got the pleco in the first place. So what bottom eaters will eat this brown algae without being lunch for my cichlids??? :confused:

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
I have heard that the Flying foxes are the best fish for this algae. I haven't had one, but just wanted to throw that in. Maybe someone else will throw in from their experience.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Never tried it myself, but clown pl*cos (peckolita) are supposed to do a decent job of it. I've also heard that the foxes do to.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
IMO the best brown algae eaters are otocinclus. very small, but very industrious. best kept in groups
good luck
:)

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
rubber lip plecos are awesome on brown algea. I had a algea problem in my 90gal, I added 1 2.5 inch ruber lip and in about 2 weeks I had nothing on the glass, in another week the driftwood looked like I just put it in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store