Vivarium??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
Not exactly sure if this post belongs here but...
I have an empty 55 gallon tank that I would like to turn into a vivarium(half land half water) I cant seem to find any information as to how I go about setting it up. I want firebelly toads and newts on the land half and a male betta and 2 ADF's in the water.
Has anyone else tried this? I am looking for step by step instructions as to how to set it up.

Thanks

PurpleSmurf

AC Members
May 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
purplesmurf.com
Make sure you plan out what you want this too look like. If you want a waterfall, make sure you drill a hole for the pump line or intake to go through.

Fire belly toads and newts do not get along, you'll end up with three legged newts.

As a general guide to making a vivarium: Clean out your tank pretty thouroughly using water, an aquarium safe soap, and a rag. Make sure everything is completly dry and silicon on a glass / plexiglass / acrylic shelf to the tank. Your shelf can be any length, width, or height so long as it is a) angled slightly downward so water can drain into the aquarium b) if you have a curved lip on your shelf you'll need to drill/cut holes for water to drain from and c) your newts will need easy access to the water in the way of a beach or ramp.

After the silicon cures (two days) you can lay down substrate, plants, rock, and drift wood. Personally, I'd moisten it before placing it on the shelf, especially if you have drainage holes. Use an aquarium planting substrate on the shelf as the mixture of chemicals for outdoor gardening contains chemicals toxic to fish.

Your firebelly newts won't like or require anything more than room temperature (70 - 75 degress in the summer) and a little cooler in the winter, so a heater for the water isn't necessary. However, coldwater really limit the selection you stock with. You can use a heater, but keep the temperature around 72-74, this will allow you to keep platies and a few other hardy tropical fish with relative success. I wouldn't reccomend the betta as they like upper 70's to 80's.

You will also need a few areas of different mostures. The newts won't want to always be wet so they'll need a dry place to hang out in/on/at.

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
Well I just found out that the tank is actualy 50 gallons and it is something called a Critter Cage(does anyone know what company makes these) . I actually got this tank from a friend who no longer wanted it. It has a russian tortoise in it right now. I am going to sell the tortoise and turn the tank into a vivarium. Now my question, the bottom of the tank says "do not fill with water". Does that mean that the tank cant be completly filled? I only want to fill about 1/4 of the tank up with water. Do you think It would hold it?

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
would it hold any water? There isnt going to be that much in it and the glass is just as thick as my ten gallon aquarium? The tank is 3 ft. long and I was planing on having only 6 to 10 inches of it being water and that water would only be 6 inches deep.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
www.caudata.org is a great site for information on setting up a land/water tank. It's designed for newt enthusiasts, but has some forums for frogs and toads as well.

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
So it will hold water? That is good because I really want to set this vivarium up so that the water part can have a male betta in it. Thanks

threejjj

4EVER
Mar 12, 2005
Does anyone know if the following setup would work... 1 dumpy tree frog,1 green treefrog, 2 Firebelly Newts, 1 ADF and a Betta? Is there a better fish than a betta for this type setup?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store