African's ok in ph of 6.6?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
I have a couple african's in a tank that has a ph of 6.6. They seem to be ok, but this seems a little low. I was thinking about adding some baking soda to raise the kh/ph. My tap tested at 8.0 ph but I did not let the water sit overnight. Also is a salt additive necessary for Africans? Thanks in advance.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Saying "africans" doesn't tell us anything. You could be talking about Alunocaras or Frontosas, or Kribs, maybe Jewels, or maybe even a Tilapia species. Please specify what you have. Some "africans" are fine in that pH others are not.

African Dick

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
All of them are Lake Malawi.

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Epsom salt and Baking soda. Easiest way to raise your hardness levels. And as you have discovered I am sure that you know that pH is not suitable for them. As has been said 8.0+ pH is best.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
if your tap tests at ph of 8 I would start doing more waterchanges to bring your tank and tap towards the same values. Start with really small exchanges every other day, say half a gallon the first one and each time up the amount by half a gallon till you are up to 25-50%, then do that amount about once a week unless you have lots of fish in your tank.

scholar

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Laguna Niguel, CA
Visit site
Here in Southern ca., the PH is 7.8 and every one keeps malawi's with no problem.

If your tap is 8.1 and the tank is 6.6! There is a problem. You need to find out how does go from 8.1 to 6.6! :(

NatakuTseng

Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Going from a low pH to a high pH will not hurt the fish. Adding the epsom salt and baking soda will do a couple things, get your hardness levels where you need it and stabilize the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store