Need The Best Metal Polish...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
After many years, I just heard not to wax chrome surfaces with 'regular' car wax! Auto wax can, supposedly hold moisture and cause chrome to rust.

What is the best metal polish for chrome?

:help:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Brasso sucks. It is nearly impossible to remove and actually leads to more tarnish in the future. There is a porduct we use at our lab (I polish metals as part of my job for historic sites) called Flitz. It is a fibreglass/metal polish that is very low on the abrasive side.

I would also suggest testing it in a indescrete spot first to make sure it gives the desired result.

Of course any abrasive material is only so good for so long as it strips away bits of the metal to polish it. So eventually over polsihing will lead to no more metal. This happens a lot with softer metals like silver plating.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I looked up Flitz and I'm able to get it at Ace Hardware. This product is not cheap!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It is good product though. When you are done polishing use mineral spirits (paint thinner, varsol etc...) to wipe the metal clean. This will help to bring up the shine more as well. And don't fall for the includes rust inhibitors line that most polishes have. It is always best to remove as much polish residue as possible.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
TKOS said:
It is good product though. When you are done polishing use mineral spirits (paint thinner, varsol etc...) to wipe the metal clean. ....
Won't that take off the "protective layer" the polish should leave behind?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Good old fashion coke and aluminum foil. I remember using that in the days when I was a car detailer. Worked great.

There is also this stuff. This is by far the best metal polisher on the face of the earth.

It does everything.

Sorry about that guys.

Last edited:

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
Flitz is good stuff. We use it to polish various musical instruments of the brass and silver persuasion. Doesn't damage the finish.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If that former link led to a picture of autosol then avoid that for chrome. It is super abrasive in comparison. It will leave a much duller finish. As for taking off the "protective" layer. Well any layer it leaves behind will be just as bad as wax. So why not stick with wax in the first place.

Coke will work as it has phosphoric acid in it. That will help remove any iron corrosion but will not shine the chrome in and of itself. Chrome gest dull (like all metals) as they are scratched. You need to remove the scrates to get it shiny. If a product (like autosol or nevrdull) is used it tends to make more scratches and you don't geta truely shiny surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store