Loss of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JON

Speed Reefer
Jan 9, 2003
SE Ohio
users.adelphia.net
I have a 20 gallon tank with a Penguin 125 filter. Ammo. 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm, Nitrate 10 ppm, ph 8.2, and hard water. I can't remember those specs. I had a 2 neon tetras and 10 red plateys. I recently added 4 more neons and a Cori cat. I started losing fish. It started with the baby plateys. Then the neons. I checked and rechecked water specs and nothing. I did however notice the mother red platey looked velvety so I thought maybe there was disease about in the tank. So I started treatment with a product made by Wardley for external parasites, bacteria and fungus. The rest of the neons died, and I now have 6 baby plateys left and now I can't find the mother. The cat seems fine and dandy. It seems I lose one fish a day since this started. Help!!! Oh and yes I removed the carbon from the filter. I have 4 days left of treatment. Also, the other day, about 2 days ago, I noticed white dots on 2 of the plateys, Ich I think. They didn't have these before. What could be going on here?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Un-quarantined fish are spreading a disease, combined with pH shock. Neons prefer pH around 6.8 or so. Moving them from LFS conditions to your tank probably shocked the heck out of them, as well as the other fish (unless you know your LFS has similar pH). This stresses them and makes them prone to other diseases. Likely, the additional fish have also stressed your bacteria, and ammonia/nitrites are popping up.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Agree with OrionGirl. Also note that ich can attach to the gills of the fish and you wouldn't have seen it. So it could have been doing damage for a while. Keep up your treatment, ich is an external parasite. If you are certain it is ich, bump your temperature up to 82-85 to speed up the ich life cycle so that it is subjected to the treatment. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store