My angels laid eggs!!! Now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Came home tonight to find my female angel tending to a clutch of eggs. Unfortunately they're in my community 55g tank :( . The eggs were laid on the inlet tube of my fluval. I can remove them from the tank if I had to but I'm a little weary of that because of any differences in water parameters if I swicth them to another tank, especially temperature. I could fill my spare 10g with water from the 55. I guess my question is what is the best way to handle the situation? How long before they hatch? Will the male, female, or both eat the fry?

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Don't do anything with them, you'll need at least another 55 to grow them out. Artificial hatching is a pain as well. Just let them be and let the angel's get some expirience tending the eggs and hopfully fry untill you can get set up to rear the young.

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Well overnight my pleco gobbled up the eggs. The adult pair is still showing signs of spawning. How often will the spawn? I'm setting up another tank for them now since I know I've got a proven pair here.

Wildiana, nothing fancy. I just got lucky and they spawned. It's a heavily planted 55g community tank. pH is a hair above neutral; around 7.2 and the water is and has always been on the hard side. Sorry, no pics of the whole setup, but here's daddy!

CajunCC

I take pictures
Sep 10, 2004
Harrisburg, PA
www.photobizarre.com
They'll probably spawn every two weeks or so. Mine spawned about every week and a half. Every night the eggs got eaten. After about 6 or 7 spawns, they just stopped and haven't spawned since. I'm considering moving the pair to my 29g to see if I can get them to spawn in there by themselves.

FishFreak101

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
I think i can help u... first of all put a peice of slate in the water (diagonaly) so that they can lay they're eggs on they're. and second they mite not feel safe for the fry to hatch so they might eat them unforntuantly...and how long for them to hatch.....i have noooo idea.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Leave the light on as well. This will keep the parents awake and gaurding the eggs so the pleco won't eat them. Do this untill they are freeswimming. If they are already laying eggs on something in the tank, don't worry about adding any slate, they already feel comfortable enough to lay on something.

CRAZY4FISH

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
After About Three Days They Will Become Wigglers (still Attached To The Yolk Sac) After About 7 Days They Weill Become Free Swimmers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store