clowns in QT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
so I bought 5 clown loaches about 8 days ago who are still in QT in a 10 gallon tank. I still have not seen them, therefore have not really got to observe them... They are absolutely spastic and I think if I take the cave out that they hide in they will hurt themselves. I snuck up to the tank last night b/c I saw that 2 were out and when I got about a foot or 2 from the tank, they freaked out. They hit the walls and lid of the tank it was so loud, I could very clearly hear the noise of them hitting the glass :eek: !! I don't have a light on the tank, and there are a few fake plants, maybe some more caves or hiding spots so that they might venture out? Any other suggestions?

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Try staying near the tank when you feed them, and make sure they can see you. If you hold either a cube of frozen blood worms, or freeze dried tubifex worms with your fingers, eventually they should get brave enough to venture out with you around, even take the food from your fingers (mine did while in QT).

Also, just give them another week, I believe mine didn't come around till the second week. (I'm going to seriously start keeping a journal about all fish related behavior, tank water conditions, water changes, etc... etc...)

One last thing, I had other fish in QT at the same time as the clowns, and I believe that helps keep the clowns calm and feeling safe, because they weren't the type of fish that hides (i.e. 5 rasboras).

HTH,
Serg

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I just got a new one too, and I am using a q-tank (5g) for the first time. Mine was in there with just a plant, and was really nerved up, like yours seem. I put a cave in, and after being nerved up about that, he started using it, and seems more comfortable. I have had mine for 4 days, and he comes out for a bit if it is still, but swims away when i approach. I believe your fish and mine just need time. You have to make sure their cave is big enough to fit into, so they don't hurt temselves. More hiding spots might put them at ease, as you suggested. Low light as you said too.

can you get yours to eat yet? Mine might be, but not until the food has sat for a while. that is a good sign when they eat! Perhaps luring them out with food?

Also did they come from a 10g? Mine was in a 10 with many other fish at the store. Now it is in a 5g all alone . The fish have to deal with size, scenery, and occupant change, perhaps water chemistry as well. Lots of adaptations. I feel bad cause mine spazzes a little too and in the smaller tank, there is less room, hence the violent body smashing. I feel so bad...remind me why I am keeping my fish in this little Q-tank!?!

Patience and time. hope that helps!

An

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
I want to make sure they're ok before adding them to the main tank, but I was starting to feel like the poor guys would be in there forever. I think I might go pick up some other fish, I wanted to add more to the tank anyway...
And I tried staying by the tank when I fed them with no luck, I put in a couple of shrimp pellets that fell inches from the entrance of the cave they're in and they ignored it!!! I might try another hiding spot so that they can safely go from one side of the tank to the other, maybe that will help
Thanks

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
loaches.com

I read about what socal. said about other fish on loaches.com it is an effect where loaches see that there is no danger cause the others are out safely.

My first loach was thrown in the tank with 6 other fish (not recommended of course to put everything in at once!) and it adjusted much quicker.

socal: did you use an expendable fish? Or one you already had?

I have heard conflicting info on feeding frozen worms directly to fish without thawing...though perhaps once or twice?

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
yeah the clownloaches take a while to get used to the area, and its better to have smaller fishes around that swim alot so they clownloaches feel safe knowing theirs no preditors to attack the small fishes so there should be none to attack them. - kinda what loaches.com said

And **** 6loaches in a 10gal, i thought my 4 was alot haha...

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
FishyLisa said:
socal: did you use an expendable fish? Or one you already had? I have heard conflicting info on feeding frozen worms directly to fish without thawing...though perhaps once or twice?
I bought 5 rasboras specifically for this purpose (which eventually went in my 29g), plus I had my 4 baby balas in the QT with my loaches.

I have also read that feeding frozen foods without thawing is bad. But when i used to hand feed them, if you just swish the cube around a bit, you will notice that the worms defrost fairly quickly, and it looks like you're holding a little 'medusa head' lol. If they would get greedy and go for the still frozen part, I'd just move the cube away from them.

TipStylez said:
And **** 6loaches in a 10gal, i thought my 4 was alot haha...
Well, the 10g is only a QT. Eventually Holly will be putting the loaches in her 180g.

What are your plans for your 4 loaches in your 29g, Tip?

HTH,
Serg

Last edited:

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
keep them in there for now untill they grow and by the time there too big for the tank, i will have enough money to set up a 60gal somthing around that.

Hard to spend alot of money on fishes when my other passion is cars X]

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
TipStylez said:
keep them in there for now untill they grow and by the time there too big for the tank, i will have enough money to set up a 60gal somthing around that.

Hard to spend alot of money on fishes when my other passion is cars X]
True, when my friend Jason told me that his sound system alone cost about the same as my 180g tank, my jaw dropped, lol.

I would try to save for something larger than a 60g however, because you know that they will grow to 12" with proper care, right? That way you wont have to spend more money later on, to upgrade the 60g.

Or, if you decide not to buy a tank in the future, you can send them to me, haha.

Serg

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Well, I went out and bought 3 small scissortails to add (later) to the 7 I already have in the main tank. They are really active, and good schoolers, so we'll see if the 3 new additions will bring the clowns out :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store