How to overwinter outdoor plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
Is there a trick to keeping plants indoors through the winter (in non-fish tanks) without the water developing that nasty sulphur aroma?? I have some water lily baby offshoots that I am going to grow through the winter, but am finding that the water gets rancid pretty quickly. Should I just keep changing out the water? Or is there a better way?
Thanks
judy

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
is there any kind of pump? moving the water, even just a little, will help with the smell. are you lillys hardy or tropical?

for Hardy lillies you don't need to do anything special as long as they will grow outdoors in the summer (which I'm assuming they do). They can overwinter at the bottom of your pond or something with no problems. so they should be fine indoors also.

Tropicals need to stay at about 70* year round or they will go dormant. they don't have to be submerged, but the soil must remain wet. occasionally they will bloom year round if kept at or about 70* and submerged to <24".

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
They are hardy. I just decided to take some small portions of the tubers and try to propagate new plants over the winter. They've sprouted, and I'll try aerating the water. Something so simple and I didn't think of it.
Thanks, rjl
judy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store