freshwater crab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
Hey guys yesterday i saw a freshwater crab and was curious if it could go with cichlids or any other kind of fish or would they try and eat them? Also what do they eat?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Crabs require access to the surface, with an area they can hang out on. They pose a threat to most fish, especially those that are long finned, spend most of their time on the bottom, or are slow swimmers. They require a protected area where they can hide as their shell hardens after a molt. Some fish will eat crustaceans, as well.

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
OrionGirl said:
Crabs require access to the surface, with an area they can hang out on. They pose a threat to most fish, especially those that are long finned, spend most of their time on the bottom, or are slow swimmers. They require a protected area where they can hide as their shell hardens after a molt. Some fish will eat crustaceans, as well.
Actually, some species are fully aquatic (albeit mostly incompatible, in the long run, with cichlids).

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
led_zeppelin said:
Ok cause the ones i saw had no acess to the top, they looked really cool except for one that had 5 of its legs/arms chopped of, poor guy.
Were they a brownish color with one claw noticeably larger than the other? Or were they red/black? Or something else?

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Qft

?g????ng??

AC Members
Jun 23, 2005
Hi led_zeppelin,

They can also introduce harmful parasites. And some of those critters can grow to be HUGE!!! 6" or more...so unless you want to be pinching off claws :eek: you might want to make sure any tankmates are fast swimmers.

I also understand they're very opportunistic feeders, even with a small mouth and peaceful bottom-dwelling appearance...I've heard they won't let go of any slow-moving fin if they take a notion to grab hold of it...so they aren't picky.

Last edited:

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
¤gïñ§ïng§¤ said:
Hi led_zeppelin,

They can also introduce harmful parasites. And some of those critters can grow to be HUGE!!! 6" or more...so unless you want to be pinching off claws :eek: you might want to make sure any tankmates are fast swimmers.

I also understand they're very opportunistic feeders, even with a small mouth and peaceful bottom-dwelling appearance...I've heard they won't let go of any slow-moving fin if they take a notion to grab hold of it...so they aren't picky.
sound more picky then i expected, maybe in the future ill get a tank just for themselves, that would be an intresting creature to bread! Hey how did you get that cool screen name?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store