Asian Arrowana petition

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
must be for, since asian arowanas arent legally imported. i wouldnt even bother because for now its not going to happen and its easy enough to go out and buy one if you know the right people.

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
OK, so they want to legalize the sale of microchipped captive bred arowanas and support the ban of wild caught arowana sales...hopefully if this were to happen, they would be imported in small enough numbers that they still remain a rarity in the pet trade. Now I know there are plenty of people here who would take PROPER care of them, but there's more than a multitude out there who won't. I'm afraid we might be looking at the next pacu. :(

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Ahhhh, see, I've never looked into getting an arowana so I didn't know they cost THAT much! :eek:
One would think if they were imported legally and became more widely available the price would come down, hopefully not so low the 'stuff-em-in-a-10-gallon' crowd would want them.

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Asian arowanas get bigger, and have more tradition behind them than other arowanas. Where they are imported in other countries (Canada, Asia, UK, etc...) they are responsibly kept, because anyone willing to pay for them must be.

sky, they can even cost into the tens of thousands for top-quality show fish.

And yes, they are endangered, so only the sale of captive-bred, microchipped fish must be allowed or none at all.

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
fishypoo2 said:
Asian arowanas get bigger, and have more tradition behind them than other arowanas. Where they are imported in other countries (Canada, Asia, UK, etc...) they are responsibly kept, because anyone willing to pay for them must be.

sky, they can even cost into the tens of thousands for top-quality show fish.

And yes, they are endangered, so only the sale of captive-bred, microchipped fish must be allowed or none at all.
Actually, under ideal conditions, Scleropages formosus stays rather smaller than Osteoglossum biccirhossum.

In response to Gambusia's statement - S. formosus diverges markedly from silvers with regard to appearance (namely coloration); I urge you look through the gallery of www.arofanatics.com.

Last edited:

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I was referring to the 'asian arrowanas will be another pacu' comment.

Even SA arrowanas haven't turned into a pacu type situation.

I've never seen an arrowana at Petsmart or Wal-mart.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store