100gal -vs- 75+25gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
Let's assume I am trying to limit myself to a 100 gallon system due to my concerns over the weight of the system on my 4th floor condo floors (I'm even afraid of the 100 but I need space for the livestock I want).

I'm wondering if someone could help me understand the pros and cons between a 100 gallon tank (with no meaningful sump) or a 75 gallon tank with a dedicated 25 gallon sump. I'm sure the system with the sump will be the favorite. I'd just like to better understand it's advantages over the sumpless system. I'm torn at the moment because I know I should have a sump, but I'd really love to see 1/4 more territory in my display.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, that's not the way to compare the volume setups, nor the weight. A 100 gallon tank will give you 65-75 gallons of water, and the larger space for the fish. Weight-wise, you're looking at water: ~600 lbs, the tank: ~150 lbs (sorry, don't really recall exactly, just remember them being heavy for the shape), rock: 100-150 lbs minimum, another 100 pounds for sand, plus miscellaneous stuff--the stand, the canopy, the lights--bringing you to around 1200 pounds. Compare that the to 75 with a 25 gallon sump, and you're actually ADDING another 50+ pounds for the tanks, since there will be 2, without reducing any of the other weights significantly.

Yes, sumps are very nice. They allow you to hide equipment, give you someplace to add FW topoff without messing in the main tank, and can increase the overall water volume--but really, they are not essential, nor a replacement for a bigger tank. A better comparison is a 75 with a sump versus a 75 without a sump. Otherwise, 10 10 gallon tanks chained together would be the equivalent of a 100 gallon setup--but it ain't!

I guess what it would come down to for me would be the stocking list. If you're wanting the bigger tank thinking you'll be able to add lots more fish, or a significantly bigger one, that's not the case. What it will mean is that a larger fish will be more comfortable.

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
Yeah, I figured the weights wouldn't be exact but maybe close enough that if one would be okay on the floor the other likely will too. Other than that I chose to compare the two just based on the idea of similar water volumes. Thanks for explaining that my reasoning was a bit off.

You've helped me with stocking questions before. I don't have a list at the moment, other than that most of the fish I am looking at are 2.5" to 5" (with a lot of them being "nano-reef friendly") and that I really would like to have both a Coral Beauty Angel and a Flame Angel in the display tank. I know the angels can be trouble for one another (and yeah, I know they have a tendency to nip corals too) so I was hoping to provide them as much territory as I can without going over what my floor (not to mention my girlfriend) can handle.

If I believed the angels had a reasonably good chance at cohabitating in the 75g I would likely go with that setup. Right now I am leaning towards the 100g with a small HOB refugiuim.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd go with the bigger tank, and add the angels last, and at the same time. This will increase the odds of succes--but even then, I'd have a backup home for one of them. Angels that were more dissimilar would be more likely to co-exist.

Mostly just wanted to be sure that it wasn't a matter of say, a panther grouper, where one would be cramped but fit in a 100, but totally not fit into a 75. :)

Wildshot83

AC Members
Aug 20, 2004
Minnesota
The weight issue shouldn't be too big of a deal. First when you get a stand make sure it covers as much floor area as possible. This will help reduce the stress that the weight causes in the floor. With a tank of that size make sure to place it along an exterior wall. Exterior walls are load bearing and will transfer the weight to the foundation. You could place it along another wall just make sure that it's a load bearing one. This is mainly just a safety thing but its a good idea. As a note from my engineering books the ultimate strenght (the point where the material fails or breaks) for ponderosa pine is roughly 1000 psi. You might want to check with your landlord if you rent about their policies for a tank of that size. If a tank that big springs a leak there could be some serious water damage to your condo and those below you.

Aristotle

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
Reston, VA
The condo bylaws don't have anything about aquariums (I looked). I've been told by others in the hobby that, that is a little strange but good news for me. Also, someone told me it is some sort of building ordinance in the area for multiple floor dwellings to have concrete slab flooring. I haven't been able to verify that is actually the case in my building, but was told if it is that aquarium weight shouldn't be much of an issue unless I go really big. I'll make sure to take the load bearing wall thing into consideration. A good idea no matter what. :)

recondite

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
I agree, I wouldn't worry about the weight. I had to make a stand to hold my two tanks, one on top of the other due to space restrictions in my new place, on a second floor apartment. They are a 55 gallon and a 120xh with a 29 gallon sump. So far so good.

kgalliher

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Im not sure of the age of your condo, but most of the newer ones do have concrete floors mostly for privacy but then again for situations such as these....

What if you were an 80's fan and had a big ole californina king waterbed- to those with a waterned still I do not mean to offend :) -....if I paid for a condo I would want to bring my gargantuan waterbed too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store