Driftwood in the aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaDoc

blackwaterAquatics.com
Jun 24, 2005
Lexington,KY
Hi all I thought I read somewhere that cedar should'nt be used in aquariums due to the toxins that could leach from it. Does anyone know if certain kinds of wood are not safe for use? I've been collecting various pieces of driftwood from the Kentucky river and am not sure how to tell the what kind of wood Im using. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Pretty much any hardwood is safe to use...just make sure it's not still green.

MrAquarium

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
Pretty Much most driftwood out of a river that is dry, hard and smooth can be used, Expet Cedar, NEVER EVER use cedar any dang thing in your aquarium,
Cedar + Fish = Death.......
I collect my own wood, Ive never bought a piece in my life.....
Cedar is only good for a nice decoration in your house for that nice cedar wood smell, or maybe a fire to cook on.......

cshepard

AC Members
Jun 17, 2005
Vancouver Is. BC
Slappy*McFish said:
Pretty much any hardwood is safe to use...just make sure it's not still green.
I have asked this question in another thread, but I'm still looking for a good answer - Why not green wood? I've cut some nice twisted maple root from a fallen tree, stripped the bark, soaked it in bleach, rinsed, and now I'm letting it dry for the rest of the year. By then would it be considered not green anymore? Could I perhaps, soak it again at that point to waterlog it for tank use? Maybe it would be better to seal them with something (concrete pond sealant or resin?) Any thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store