Butterfly fish health question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kakarot

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Visit site
flake foods, friezze dried blood worms. i have put in frozen blood worms and small crickets but i havent seen it eat those

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
were you able to get it to eat flakes? I hear its hard for them to get used to that food. This is why I didnt get it. Frozen is different then Live. try live brineshrimp or live blood worms...Try a search on Google in the newsgroups. Im sure someone in the newsgroups have kept these guys...

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
heh... my 4 old african butterflies ate everything... I even got them to eat hikari cichlid gold... their diets consisted of: live/dead crickets, earthworms, flakes, frozen bine shrimp, frozen blood worms, frozen mosquito larvae, pellets, and the culls from my dad's old fancy guppy tank. It's been a while since I've kept them though. Sounds like the butterfly is either having swim bladder problems or is severely stressed.... could also be an internal parasite. I'd raise the temp up to around 82 or so and treat with salt until you can get a definite diagnosis.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Here is a post from someone on the newgroups about food:

since i have successfully kept butterfly's for quite a while, i figured i'd toss in my ibservations (which to date haven't been flamed! thank GOD!) butterfly's can and will OCCASIONALLY travel to lower levels of the tank,
usually after lights out {black lights are cool} in search of food... as for what they'll eat; just about given anything if given the time to discover it. try frozen blood worms, dangling them just in the water. usually thet;ll come over and nibble the voraciously. if you are feeding flakes, sprinkle them in the current from your up lift tubes or your power filter or whatever manner of water is turbance that you have. my butterfly's all "hit and run" when it comes to eating; they glide over, get by the food, dash to it, bite, and run.if you can, give them an occasional cricket, the motion of the cricket trying to swim away attracts the butterfly's and when they attack, you will see exactly how BIG these buggers mouths are. oh, and their quick. how quick? well, my danios, which escaped ghost andclown knifes quite well, are no longer, er, "viable".

Matt: you HAD 4? they are suppose to Live a long life..what happened?

PS.. else where in the thread the person bought the Butterfly from walmart.... How did walmart get such a fish?

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
1 choked when it tried to swallow a rosy barb, and the other 3 jumped, 2 out of the tank and 1 into the filter.... not a pretty site... no matter how tightly I cover the damn tanks, they always find a way out.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
This thread has been modified as the content was inappropriate and inexcusable. Flames and aggressive criticism will not be tolerated.

Keep it clean and we will not have any problems guys.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store